Friday, December 27, 2013

christmas 2013

Remember that Christmas Ben's back went out so bad? The worst it's ever been. And Sophie was puking? And we waited to see who else got sick? Oh wait . . . that's this year. 

Our Christmas works like this. We do our little family Christmas on Christmas Eve morning. We attend church on Christmas Eve. The past 3 years Ben has been the drummer in the worship team. Then we drive to New Martinsville to wake up at Ben's parents house Christmas morning. My parents come for brunch and then we go to my parents house in the afternoon. We've done it for years. I really love this tradition.

This post is obnoxiously long. I got started and didn't realize how long it was. 

Christmas Eve Morning: 

This was officially a "Princess Christmas" for Sophie. EVERYTHING she got was about princesses.
Princess Dolls


Elsa from Frozen. (LOVED that movie by the way!)


Tavon Austin Ram's Jersey



Playing with her dolls in her new princess nightgown.


Playing with some old and new cars. 


Sophie also got some new boots. Ted got the game "Ticket to Ride."

I got Ben a new Spyder jacket. I'm pretty proud of that gift, actually. I'm not a great gift giver. He got me a new bathrobe (that I've been asking for), a beautiful framed pic of our family from the beach, and my blog printed in a book! He did the 2012 year to see how it would turn out. It's awesome! I'd love to get each year printed individually to catch up and then print it at the end of each year to keep up. It's really cool to have it in print. A little to expensive to have one done for each kid and myself which would be my ultimate goal. Maybe it would be a good birthday gift for them each year. I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate it until much later. It's a thought. Seeing it in print definitely encouraged me to keep writing. This year has been the slowest by far. But I don't want to stop. 

About 10 minutes before we left to take Ben to Fairmont for rehearsal before the Christmas Eve services, he started having major muscle spasms in his back. I dropped him off. He could barely walk or stand. Amazingly he made it through drumming at both services, but Christmas Day and the day after were awful. He slept in the recliner at my in-laws (which was huge because I have no idea what he would've done if we were home). John gave him his cane from knee replacement surgery which at least helped Ben get up and down and move around without hanging on to someone. 

The evening of December 26th, I finally took Ben to a walk-in clinic in New Martinsville. We were there 3 hours. I watched the entire "Beezus and Ramona" movie in the 100 degree waiting room. The Dr working is pretty good with backs apparently, but wouldn't touch Ben's it was so bad. So he got a shot of pain killer and a shot of anti-inflamitory. He sent us home with a muscle relaxer and steroids. Combine all that (yikes) and it turned into a Christmas miracle when Ben slept in a bed last night and sat up this morning without much pain. Thank you, Jesus! Needless to say, all that wiped him out pretty good. And we'll be seeing a chiropractor in the very near future. 

Christmas Morning:

Ted's big gift this year from our parents is a Nintendo 3DS XL - which is exactly what he calls it.
He was one excited boy!


Sophie in her new princess robe (a robe was really the only thing she asked for this year) with her new princess fake nails (which lasted about 3 minutes.)


 Playing "Princess Trouble" with daddy from his spot in "The Beast" -
the name we affectionately call John's enormous recliner. I told you everything was princess.


Checking out the 3DS XL
 


Post gift wrapping nap


The "stocking tree" - pretty impressive. There's a lot of us.




Christmas Evening:

Sophie, her princess dolls & Aunt Sara


Charlie & Valerie made an amazing dinner. He smoked a ham and baked beans, 10 pounds of this enormous shrimp and potato casserole. The picture doesn't really do the size of these shrimp justice. Best Christmas dinner ever. Thanks Charlie & Val.


All the girls and their boots - including Sophie!
 Brandi, Sara, Laura, Sophie, Graeson, Carlyn, Valerie & Janet

Cousins:
Jay, Jeremy, Charlie & Sara
Belinda, Brandi & Me

My parents grandkids:
Graeson, Trey & Carlyn
Ted & Sophie
(Note that Ted wore his pj's all day. Sophie wore her robe as a coat that day but thankfully it was a little too warm to wear all day. Although I'm pretty sure she would have.) 




Yoga with Aunt Sara


Uncle Todd helped out with the airplane


Cards

Post Christmas naps

After our eventful evening at the Urgent Care, we went back to Ben's parents for some Bunco with all the family, my parents and Courtney's parents.

Heather, Isaac, Henry & Courtney


 The fun bunco table


2 more tables in the kitchen.


Showing Uncle Andy the 3DS


Ben, Ted & Isaac


Ben & Henry


Ted & Sophie
Henry & Isaac
(this is from Thanksgiving but I'm running behind - aren't they the cutest?)

Sophie woke up puking around 4am this morning. She was sharing a bed with Ted and I cleaned up puke all morning. We're waiting to see who gets it next. We drove Route 7 in between bouts of puking. She's such a trooper. So, there you have it. Christmas 2013. We're really hoping Ben and Sophie really turn the corner tomorrow and we can enjoy the rest of our Christmas break.




Biggest highlight of this Christmas: Ben and I each have 4 siblings. And each of our families had everyone together for at least a small chunk of time. It was really, really good!

No comments: