Tuesday, January 21, 2014

inconsistent

I was trying to think of a word that described our January, and just this moment, the word "inconsistent" popped into my head. Inconsistent schedules, weather, school, discipline, bedtimes, exercise, work, cleaning - pretty much everything. I thrive on routine and so do my kids. We all do so much better when we know what's expected of us. I realize you can't always know what's coming next but when things are so wishy-washy it really throws us into a funk.

I was sharing with some friends last night that this has been a really hard season of parenting. After an extended period of really enjoying my kids, one child in particular has gotten to the point of being on our very last nerve. It revolves around arguing, not obeying the first time, being cooped up indoors and just being in a really curious stage of life that results in a relentless barrage of questions every day.  Our inconsistency with discipline, using teachable moments, training, speaking love languages and snow days has served to really fuel the fire so to speak. 

(I would like to clarify that I have no room to complain about snow days as our friends in Charleston have been in school only a couple of days since the beginning of the New Year. I'm on my knees for you, friends! Your rewards are in heaven!)

So, over the past week we've developed a behavior chart, chore chart and I'm doing my best to speak both kids' love language every day. (I am a very big believer in love languages. I know it matters to me and, whether they know it or not, I can tell that it matters to my kids.) I'm being more attentive to the words I use to speak to them. I'm remembering that I need to train them instead of yell.

It's yet another snow day today. I'm putting bets on tomorrow too. We just got back from sledding at the park near our house. And sledding down the street too because we could and it was better than the hill at the park. It's snowed a lot today and it's going to get super cold again tonight. So I've got plenty of time to work on using my nice voice.


In picture world:

I LOVE listening to Ted read. He doesn't love reading as much as I would love him to. But he's getting there. In an attempt to do better with homework, I'm having him sit in the kitchen and read to me in the evening while I cook dinner. It's good for both of us.


My birthday cake from Doh. Very cute!


Last week was our first leadership of the year/semester. The staff did club for the leaders. We had a good time doing it for them.


Ben & Will Santen stayed the night with us Friday. I took them to the WVU Women's basketball game on Saturday. They are really very good (unlike the men's team). Highlights included pictures with the Mountaineer and making the big screen.


I just finished reading this book - "Playing for Keeps" by Reggie Joiner. I totally recommend it for parents and anyone working with kids and teenagers. Not your average book, but I really enjoyed it.


And we'll revisit Thanksgiving because I haven't done that yet . . .

Ted & Henry


Celebrating Ben & Heather's birthdays. I am so thankful that beard is gone.


Sophie chose a different dessert right after lunch and then was very sad she didn't get cake. Next time, sister.

And pre-Christmas dinner at Black Bear. A favorite of the Kozel/Tuel families. Especially on Maniac Mondays - $5 meals with any WVU ticket!

No comments: