After Florence we traveled by train to Spoleto. A charming small town south of Florence. It's situated on a hill (which gave a totally new perspective of "the light on the hill" reference in scripture) with a castle and ancient aqueduct at the top of the hill. There is a holy mountain with a monastery on top of it which we hiked around. It had more churches with more art and history. And the best views of anywhere I've ever been. We walked up and down that hill many times a day and gave ourselves a good workout.
Highlights of Spoleto included: the hills • the escalators and travelator (if you could ever find the entrance!) • the patio of our apartment • the view from the apartment • our apartment used to be part of a convent • the beautiful, small brick and cobblestone streets • the duomo in the church there • the aqueduct • our hike around the mountain and through olive groves • siesta time • snacks on the patio • 9 cento • the chef who brought us whatever he wanted and we had no idea what he said or what he was planning • Umberto and his wife who remembered the Isaacs from their prior trips • grappa • bottom pizza • freshly squeeze oj from blood oranges (I don't even like orange juice and it was amazing!) • the rainbow above the duomo • the fountains around the city where we filled our water bottles • the roman house • the black madonna • the quirky apartment Nick, BA, Meredith and Chris shared • singing 22 to KV • the huge, crazy cemetery • one of the first christian churches in italy • our evening walks • slowing down
The view from the patio
Siesta time, taking in the view
And that view never got old!
The occasional pull ups
Bottom Pizza
The travelators. We found this on the last day. We rode them down the hill, got off and couldn't find the next entrance. So we walked UP the hill - again. All this was underground! I can't figure out why the travelators run underground up the hill and not that far away are escalators that run up the hill.
We ate here the first night in Spoleto. I don't know if it was the atmosphere or that we were famished after a day of travel, but I loved this little place!
Umberto and his wife. We ate here the last evening. It was amazing, fun and like eating with family you haven't seen in several years. This sweet couple remembered the Isaacs from their visits before, showed off their grandchildren and had a lot of fun with us! But mostly with Ben. Best tiramisu I've ever had!
It's always time for a cappuccino!
We took a fun hike/walk around the aqueduct, side of the mountain, through some olive groves and down in the town. It was a gorgeous day!
Great minds think alike!
This cemetery! I've never seen anything like it. I could've wandered around forever.
One of the first Christian churches in Italy.
The aqueduct was stunning. And when you really think about what it took to build it and when they built it, I can't even imagine.
Stephanie is an amazing tour guide. Seriously. I learned so much from her and she loved sharing it with us. She was telling us about what we would see inside. She did so much reading and research for this trip!
I think we both really surprised ourselves at how much we enjoyed the art, the history and the churches.
This was an incredible altar in this chapel. We sat and looked at it for a long time. This picture doesn't do it justice, but it truly incredible. I'm sure there's so much history and meaning behind it.
Fresh squeezed oj from blood oranges. Amazing!
Always remember to validate your train ticket. It'll cost ya if you don't.
Spoleto
is Greg and Stephanie's favorite place in Italy. They've returned there
more than any other place. It was a gift to get to share a place that
they love so dearly and see with our own eyes why they love it so much.
We had a few quiet, relaxing days there as the perfect middle of the
trip.
































No comments:
Post a Comment