Thursday, October 20, 2016

the broken way & other books i've been reading

For some unknown reason, I signed up to be part of the launch team for Ann Voskamp's new book The Broken Way. The last several books I've tried for (Jen Hatmaker's For the Love and Jennie Allen's Nothing to Prove releasing in January 2017) I haven't signed up in time. So it was kind of funny when I was chosen by some sort of randomness to pre-read this book.


I am not an Ann Voskamp groupie. Honestly, her stuff is hard for me to read. She's too poetic. I have to concentrate too hard to read, follow and comprehend. I prefer straight forward and even some humor. I've read about half of this book at this point (it was also a short time between when I got the book and when it releases). If you love Ann Voskamp, I'm sure you will love this book.  It's raw and honest and hopeful. It's a beautiful message of brokenness and abundant life and how the two can co-exist.

You can order it HERE

These are some other books I've read and listened to since the spring.

Geri Scazzero
I listened to this one. It was really good. I'd like to read this one with some other women to get some really good discussion on it to further learn.


Shauna Neiquist

I'm not usually a huge Shauna Neiquist fan, but I devoured this book. It hit me in a sweet spot of post summer at a time where I felt like I had learned and was experiencing a lot of what she was talking about. She put words to a lot of the things I was thinking/feeling/experiencing.


Carolyn Mahoney

I read this book on assignment after several people had mentioned that they really liked it. I liked it and am currently reading with a younger friend I'm meeting with. It's a good book that can bring on lots of good discussion.

Sandra Stanley

I did this with my women's bible study in the spring. I wasn't crazy about the devotional, but I did really enjoy the videos that went with it. I've used this as a resource for several other things I've led.


Raechel Meyers & Amanda Williams

I also did this one with my women's bible study in the spring. It's a GREAT bible study for rookies or seasoned bible studiers. Loved it!

Amber Lia & Wendy Speake

I wasn't so sure about this one when a friend suggested it, but I really liked it. It's become a real resource for me. It's a book I'll go back to this one for a long time to come.

Graeme Simsion

I read this book on the plane to and from Italy. Great book. I will read the ones that follow for sure.

Beth Moore

I just finished this with Ben. You can't go wrong with a Beth Moore bible study. Loved this one, as I loved all of hers. 

I've been trying to read a lot more lately. I've missed it and I love it.

I'll post about Ted's birthday soon. I'm waiting to get his old birthday pics off our hard drive for my annual cake pictures through the years.

No comments: