Monday, September 5, 2011

family bike ride

As the kids get older, it's getting more and more fun. Ted is playing fun board games (not just Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders) and they are even playing together nicely. It's a gift to not have my eyes on Sophie at every moment of every day and that she can even entertain herself. 

So Saturday, we did something I've been wanting to do for a long time - we took a family bike ride! I want to be a bike riding family. It's fun, it's good exercise and Ben loves to ride bikes. So it's something we can all do together that everyone enjoys.

I rode Ben's old bike. All we had to do was change out the pedals so I didn't have to buy bike shoes. Ted rode his bike.
Ben pulled Sophie in the bike trailer. I bought that thing about 2 years ago at a yardsale. We've used it a handful of times but totally worth the $20 I paid for it!


We started on the Deckers Creek Trail near our house and rode to the Mon River Trail. Sophie wore her helmet all morning - while we changed out pedals, pumped up tires, loaded the van with 3 bikes and a trailer and got water bottles ready. An hour and a half later while we were assembling everything at the trail, she was a sweaty mess.

We made a pit stop at the playground at The Wharf. It's such an odd playground and my kids aren't quite big/strong enough to do everything yet.


They had the most fun on the actual big people exercise equipment.
I think that a bike rack might eventually be a good investment - for the longevity of the interior of our van and the safety of those within. This was definitely a happy heart moment!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

We might have an extra one that you could look at the next time u r in town. Needs a trailor hitch, but fits 4 bikes.

Anonymous said...

We love bike rides too. The bike trailer was such a great investment! I also find the waterfront park weird, but the boys love it too!
Shannon