Sunday, August 17, 2014

summer wins

And just like that summer is over. It's been a good summer. Although it wasn't what we expected or had planned, it was still really, really good. I'm thankful for all that we got to do, the fun we had and how I feel like we really were flexible, spontaneous and had a lot of fun. We're definitely leaving summer on a really good note, and for that I'm thankful.

Tomorrow is the first day of school. Except for Sophie right around bedtime, both kids are excited to get started. We had meet-the-teacher night on Friday. Now that they have met their teachers and figured out who's in their classes, both are ready. Ted has a sub at this point - the same long term sub he had at the end of last year. We're hoping she gets the job permanently, or at least gets to keep it for the year and there are no more transitions. (It really is amazing all the switching of teachers that happens right up to the last minute).

All in all, it was a great summer. Ben and I were semi-lamenting how fast summer went and how busy it was before we left for assignment. We weren't super excited to go. But assignment seemed to wrap up our summer beautifully and put a nice big bow on top - a total surprise and complete blessing!

So, a few of our summer "wins"

  • 4 trips to the river - although we wish we could do many more, they were each a unique visit and always so fun. I am forever thankful for the river.
  • family & friends - we got to spend a lot of time with each of these this summer. Although there were some of both we wish we could've seen more (or at all), it was still a lot of good people.
  • Sam's click-n-pull - any event in your life needs this. It's a beautiful, beautiful service.
  • steroids for poison ivy - I just go straight for the meds now. Nothing else works.
  • summer bible study - for our young life leaders and for women's ministry at church.
  • chores - this may be in my top 3 wins of the summer. Dave Ramsey's book Smart Money, Smart Kids gave me the outline for this. It gave the kids responsibility, helped keep our house clean this summer, and made me way more fun!
  • quiet mornings - my internal alarm was 6:30 am all summer and the kids would sleep until between 8 -9 am. Although I lost my quiet evenings, the mornings may have been better and way more productive.
  • camp (YL College, Young Life, WyldLife and Assignment) - seeing our kids and our leaders at camp made everything over the past year worth it. Our assignment team blessed the heck out of us. YoungLives camp won my heart.
  • big kick soccer camp - BKSC doubled in our second year. A great facility. Amazing volunteers. Hottest week of the summer. I am proud of our church.
  • ted praying to accept Jesus into his heart - while our Young Life kids were at camp, Ted and I had some pretty neat conversations about what it means to have a relationship with Jesus. After asking a gazillion questions and really thinking things through, it was a decision he chose to make.
  • sophie's bad hair summer - she was just one bad hair day the entire summer, which is very unlike her cute little haircut. It was hilarious and something I had to just get over.
  • audio books - I'm on my 4th audiobook of the summer. i've given up on the stack of books next to my bed/on my ipad. After traveling a lot by myself with the kids watching movies and my drives to work 3 days a week, I had plenty of time. This is a real game changer for me.
Summer 2014 may have been one of our best as far as the kids ages, staying up late and sleeping in, being spontaneous and all manner of fun things we were able to do. Here's to a great school year. Cheers!


No comments: