These are books I read, studied or listened to this Summer. I have a new found love of audio books. Since the stack of books on my bedside and on my Kindle were not shrinking in any way, I started listening to books. I LOVE it. Since I drive an hour back and forth to work 3 days a week, plus the traveling I did with the kids on my own this summer (they watched dvd's), I got a lot of "reading" in.

Gwen and I led this Bible study this summer with some women at South Ridge. It's Beth Moore's newest study. As always, wonderful! And I loved our group of ladies that met every other week. This was similar in style to her James study and very doable.
I listened to this book in May and instituted the general chores/commission strategy for the Summer. This was a total win for me. I really loved this book a lot. Although we are not total Dave Ramsey followers (we use some of the concepts, kind of like we did with BabyWise), it has encouraged and challenged us personally and really was a great thing for the kids. Not only did they not beg for money at the pool, they both are learning the value of hard work and saved up for some fun things of their own. The chores also saved our house from being a total disaster this Summer, too. It's been a hard adjustment with school starting, especially when the weather is so nice after school and practices and stuff. But I'm committed to sticking with it for the long haul.
Although I already wrote a review about Interrupted, it really didn't do the book justice. I'm really wrestling with the concepts she presents and the thought processes of myself and church. I think it's especially thought provoking as it's a tension I've had in our personal lives for about the past year, and it's part of my job. I'm interested to see how this all shakes out for me.
I listened to this book on my Lake Champion trip. Although it was a great book, it's one I don't think I would've been able to read consistently and all the way through. I'm really glad I listened to it though. The Holy Spirit is such an intimidating concept to me. This book encouraged me to do some more research and really be aware of the Spirit's promptings.
This is a book by a blogger I read. She wrote Sparkly Green Earrings, which I read last year, about parenting. This book is a memoir type book about marriage. She's a writer I like to read because she's funny and can tell a good story. She doesn't write anything too profound or anything. But I like her stories and how she talks about and sees life. I listened to this book on my way home from Rockbridge. It was just about the same amount of time as my drive.
I just finished listening to this one. Hilarious! If you're easily offended or have children in the car with you - don't listen to it. Otherwise, if you like a funny memoir, it's a good one.
So that was my Summer reading. Today I found a draft post of my Spring reading. So here you go.
This is a devotional type book that comes from The Circle Maker. I kind of wish I would've read The Circle Maker first, but this was great. A few concepts that really stuck out to me and are a game changer in prayer.
I read this on my own in no time flat. Loved it. Jennie Allen writes about the "threads" of your life (gifts, suffering, people, places and passions) and how they all weave together together to equal your purpose. I read the book but would love to do the study with some women.
My women's Bible study read this book in the Spring. Although I'm not a super big Lysa TerKeurst fan, I really enjoyed this book and it made a lot of sense. There are some super practical concepts of how to not come unglued on a daily basis. The women in my study really liked this one.
We finished up our women's Bible study this Spring with this study. It's a weekend event turned small group experience. Although it started out kind of strange, it was beautifully wrapped up by the end. There are some real truths wrapped up in scripture about the good and the bad secrets in life and what the Lord wants to do with all of them.
I've got quite a reading list for the Fall. But with my new found love of listening to books, I'm going to be able to bust right through it!
I've got quite a reading list for the Fall. But with my new found love of listening to books, I'm going to be able to bust right through it!




_-_200px.jpg)




No comments:
Post a Comment