Our first few years in Charleston was the beginning of wedding season in our lives. It was a time when our friends from high school and college were getting married. I was finishing school and worked in large part to pay for weddings. Dresses. Shoes. Showers. Gifts. Tux rentals. The actual weekend of the wedding. It was expensive but it was wonderful. Wedding season came to an end and then we moved on to baby season.
About 5 years ago, wedding season started again and it hasn't slowed down yet. Between leaders, past Young Life kids and family, we average 5-9 weddings a year. Ben has officiated many of them, which also means he's done a lot of the pre-marriage counseling. For the past 3 or so years, we've done a lot of the pre-marriage counseling together which is helpful for us. You can't tell people about marriage when you're not really working on it yourselves.
So these are some of our favorite books about marriage. I couldn't pick a fave because they're all completely different and really great.
Love & Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs
Men need respect and women need love. This is a book about avoiding the crazy cycle and meeting each others needs the best we can.

For Men Only & For Women Only
These two books are great for understanding the different ways that men and women think and deal with life. They aren't long and are super easy reads.

The Five Love Languages
I'm a firm believer in the love languages for everyone. If you know someone's love language you can speak their love language and "fill their love tank." It's the way we feel loved and the way we love others. Acts of Service. Quality Time. Gifts. Physical Touch. Words of Affirmation.

The Meaning of Marriage
I'm not really sure how to explain this book other than it's deep and I loved it. It's not a super easy read, but well worth your time.

You and Me Forever: Marriage in Light of Eternity
I just finished listening to this one and it's totally different than all the others. It's about having an eternal perspective in general and how that plays into our marriage and even parenting. It was super challenging and encouraging.

About 5 years ago, wedding season started again and it hasn't slowed down yet. Between leaders, past Young Life kids and family, we average 5-9 weddings a year. Ben has officiated many of them, which also means he's done a lot of the pre-marriage counseling. For the past 3 or so years, we've done a lot of the pre-marriage counseling together which is helpful for us. You can't tell people about marriage when you're not really working on it yourselves.
So these are some of our favorite books about marriage. I couldn't pick a fave because they're all completely different and really great.
Love & Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs
Men need respect and women need love. This is a book about avoiding the crazy cycle and meeting each others needs the best we can.

For Men Only & For Women Only
These two books are great for understanding the different ways that men and women think and deal with life. They aren't long and are super easy reads.

The Five Love Languages
I'm a firm believer in the love languages for everyone. If you know someone's love language you can speak their love language and "fill their love tank." It's the way we feel loved and the way we love others. Acts of Service. Quality Time. Gifts. Physical Touch. Words of Affirmation.

The Meaning of Marriage
I'm not really sure how to explain this book other than it's deep and I loved it. It's not a super easy read, but well worth your time.

You and Me Forever: Marriage in Light of Eternity
I just finished listening to this one and it's totally different than all the others. It's about having an eternal perspective in general and how that plays into our marriage and even parenting. It was super challenging and encouraging.

No comments:
Post a Comment