Sunday, September 6, 2015

end of summer wrap up

For the last two weeks of summer we tried to cram in as much fun as possible while still doing responsible things like work, grocery shopping, laundry and cooking dinner. I was exhausted!

We came home from vacation and reconnected with the Kozels at our one and only Black Bears game of the season. We went about a month without seeing them which was entirely too long.







Ted has graduated to the front seat when we drive around town. He was fascinated by all the compartments, buttons and controls. I gave him about two trips doing that and then I threatened to break his fingers. That seems to solve that problem.


We spent an afternoon at Dorsey's Knob exploring the trails, seeing the goat and not seeing the bull, and playing on the playground.




The WV Young Life Staff had a meeting one day so we went to hang with the Bergs. The plan was a fun day on Summersville Lake but it rained and was 65 degrees. So we stayed at the Bergs house and played with the chickens, did crafts, had dance competitions and generally had a great time.




 Ted went to New Martinsville for two days and Sophie went for five. It was just the break we all needed. The kids spent every waking hour together this summer and those days apart were really good for everyone.




Sophie helped babysit Reed several of the extra days that she was there.










And he wore her out.

While the kids were gone, Ben and I went to Pittsburgh for the day to plan the semester and the year for family and ministry. It was a great day away for us and getting all our thoughts in order.


The kids and I squeezed in a quick 24 hour trip to East Brady. We couldn't go just one time in the summer. So we did lots of swimming, a few boat rides and played at a new fun swimming spot.







 While we were gone WVU students came back to town. Students double the population in Morgantown. As much as I love WVU and the students and know that we are here because of them, it's always a little sad because Morgantown is the loveliest place all summer long.

This line of UHauls always makes me smile. There's a particular UHaul place in town that will cram in an unbelievable amount of trucks this time of year. It's hard to believe that FIVE years ago, one of those trucks was ours. We moved here one week before school started. We just finished our 5th year and are starting our 6th.


WVU Young Life did a "Welcome Week" for students and part of that included some activities for Fall Fest. I'm pretty sure our kids were one of the few (only) kids on campus the night of Fall Fest. 



The last few days before school started we had Wyatt hanging out with us. We swam at Cheat Lake and played on several playgrounds. Thankfully, American Ninja Warrior was quite the thing this summer. I believe it gave us one more good summer with boys at the park simply because there is the ability to turn any park into an obstacle course.




And, because of the monkey bars at the park out at Cheat Lake, all the kids started school with several massive blisters.

 As sad as I was for school to start, I'm thankful for the routine and the space. And the still warm days and football season. 

Cheers to Summer 2015!

No comments: