For various reasons that don't need detailed on the interwebs, the month of August was hard. I so badly wanted to finish summer well and fun, but we kind of took a bit of a nosedive. We crawled over the back to school line. That may not have been totally bad as everyone was ready and willing to go back to school. (Except for one night of wailing and gnashing of teeth from Sophie about starting 3rd grade.) I also realized during the month of August that I ruined my kids this summer. I had become cruise ship director. That's a hard role to play when you've played it all summer and then realize all of a sudden that you don't want to play it anymore . . .
The kids spent some time with the Underdonks and played outside in these very fun glow stick contraptions. They always have so much fun together and we don't see them nearly as much as we would love to.
August was HOT! Like real hot. So we were either swimming or inside. We did some forts . . .
And the tent in the sunroom for a fun change of scenery.
We watched a LOT of Olympics. I mean a lot. I didn't regulate screen time at all if they were watching any sort of Olympics. And we stayed up way too late every night watching. At the end when they did the video highlights, I realized that I had seen almost all of them. I'm ok with that.
We hit up the Splash Zone in Clarksburg twice. Oh my word, that place is awesome and FUN! The purple slide is my personal favorite. We went once with friends from church and once with the Kozels. We will go back a lot more next summer for sure!
The kids went to New Martinsville for a few days. It seems to be an August tradition that we started a few years back. By August we all need a bit of a break from each other and it's fun for the kids to spend some time with their grandparents. And of course Reed.
By the end of summer you have to get creative.
We got the most out of our daily free game of bowling.
We missed the introduction of Pokemon Go while we were at camp. But Ted quickly caught up and become a Pokemon go professional.
We had the WVU Welcome Week events. That is exhausting. One night we had some freshmen guys over to grill hotdogs and play darts in the garage. The kids taught them their new favorite game, Family Business. The kids and I mostly did not attend Welcome Week activities as we needed a little space from all of it and it was also the first week of school. Early bedtimes were not our thing this summer at all.
Ted spent a day in Fairmont with friends from church. They did all sorts of very fun things.
Including a game of neighborhood baseball which is his dream.
Ted has started his final year in elementary school - what?!? They both seem to have really great teachers. We had such great teachers last year that I was a bit nervous we couldn't do a repeat this year. But we just might do it.
Band has started in the 5th grade. Ted wants to play percussion, but you have to play an instrument first in the 5th grade. So we've resorted to the trumpet. Eh. I'm sure the neighbors are thrilled.
Ted learned to mow the grass. Sophie did not and runs through the sprinkler.
I channeled my inner Nikki Eckard and melted some chocolate chips for my strawberries for dinner more than once. I do not share.
We made it back to the Young Life office and the skit closet is fresh, new and exciting for them..
We hit Wave Tech in Fairmont twice, swam at the beach at Cheat Lake, missed the Kozels while they were on their adventures, all went to the dentist, had two committee potluck dinners, had a few after camp parties, welcomed students (and traffic) back to Morgantown, adjusted back to work and watched the Olympics until our eyes bled.





















1 comment:
thats alot of fun! you are a great mom and when your kids look back they will thank the Lord for you. love u
Post a Comment