Monday, May 15, 2017

books, studies & things i'm loving

Some things I am loving right now:


Stitch Fix: Every couple of months I save up some of my personal spending money and schedule a fix. (We do the envelope system and our personal spending money is ours to spend however we like. Ben usually saves up for electronic gadgets or beverages of sorts. I usually spend mine on lunches/coffee with friends and clothes.) I have learned how to use this personal shopping to get some staples in my closet that I wouldn't otherwise know how to shop for on my own. It can be a bit pricey but I've learned how to navigate that some too. If you've been interested in trying Stitch Fix, I would love for you to use my referral code so I can get a $25 credit. Also, message me and I'll share with you some of the things I've learned along the way.

Referral Code: https://www.stitchfix.com/referral/6554872?sod=w&som=c&str=15457 


Panera Rapid Pick Up: Ordering online or on the Panera app is AMAZING! All you do is order online or on the app, pay, and it's ready in 10 minutes. Run in, grab it and go! Our office is right beside Panera. There for awhile I was overusing it a bit. But now I've learned some moderation. Skip the lines. Skip the wait for them to make it. Boom! I need to also try this with Chick-Fil-A and Starbucks.



Kroger Click List: My life has forever changed! I despise grocery shopping. So yesterday, I grocery shopped in my pajamas. I clicked through everything I wanted online and told them what time I would be there. I parked in special parking, called the number, they brought my groceries, loaded them and I paid on an iPad. PRAISE HANDS! The first couple of times are free and then it's $4.95. Totally worth it - I impulse buy more than that. The other great thing is that I see what my total is as I'm ordering, so I can stop when I reach my budget. If I still need more, I can go through my list and remove things I may not need. Lately I've been consistently $50 over my grocery budget every week. This could be very helpful for my wallet and my time!

It's been awhile since I shared some books and bible studies. I've been a slow reader this year, but have been intentional about listening to books when I travel on my own. I miss listening to books a lot with not driving nearly as much to work. I have introduced the kids to listening to books on road trips and the LOVE it. Our DVD players have petered out and they're moving past the Disney movie collection. Ted is not much of a reader, but if he will listen to books, I'm all about it. The library loans free audio books so it helps immensely.

The Magnolia Story by Chip & Joanna Gaines
Ted and I listened to this over Thanksgiving and Christmas on a few road trips. Ted enjoyed it because he's watched a lot of Fixer Upper and it was read by Chip and Joanna. It was the first book he's ever listened to and he loved it. He made sure that I didn't do any listening without him. Good book. I like people's stories so this was great.


The Happiness Dare by Jennifer Dukes Lee
I read this is the fall with some friends. I was slightly skeptical at first but found it insightful about myself. You take a little quiz to find your "happiness style" (doer, experiencer, giver, relater, or thinker). Then the book shares ways you can dig into your style and the things to look out for that might be hang ups. I enjoy learning about myself and how other people work so this just added another dimension.


I listened to this a year or so ago and then just finished reading it with some friends. I appreciated the ability to read and process with others. I really like this book and some of the things it brings to light in how to be emotionally healthy. My two biggies are over functioning and faulty thinking. I will definitely revisit this book.



Sophie and I read this together at Christmas and we laughed the whole way through it.


All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
I read this book last week. I got totally lost in it, ignored my family and read it in three days. I know I'm totally behind the times on this one and everyone else has read it already. But totally do yourself a favor and read this book.

Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance
I listened to this book. (Note: Do not listen to this with your kids in the car!) I thought it was insightful and interesting. Whether you think he can speak for all "hillbillies" or not, it's a good read.

A Better Way to Think by H. Norman Wright
I finished this one today. My mind has been a real battle ground lately so this was helpful and insightful. One of the speakers at our women's retreat recommended this book and I ordered it right then and there. (I love Amazon Prime.) It's an easy quick read. I will revisit this book as well.


Seamless by Angie Smith
I did this Bible study with some of our girl leaders. We all LOVED it. Highly recommend this as a large picture view of the Old Testament and the New Testament. Total winner all the way around.



This was a study on the first 500 years of the church. Loved it! I'm learning more and more how knowing the history of who you are, where you come from and what you believe is really important.  IF: Equip studies are online but much more easily navigated on the app. Each day has a little video that goes with it that I've really enjoyed.

I also did this with some leaders. Wow! Intense and a lot of work but totally worth it.

This study was about Jesus fulfilling the roles of prophet, priest and king. I really liked this study leading up to Christmas. The studies are available for free online but I find them easier to navigate on my phone app.

This was study on Isaiah. I slugged through this one. Not my fave.


I'm currently in the middle of this study. It's about different spiritual disciplines. Really loving this one too!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All the light we cannot see is a great book! Justin and I read it a few years ago and I've been thinking about reading it again. While at the beach I read To Kill a Mockingbird as I had never read it. Wonderful book!

Also, I'm gonna try the Rooted in the Word study this summer as I was looking for something and it's on Right Now Media. Thanks for sharing!

Maybe one of these days I will be like you and save up and get into Stitch Fix. I know I would love it but have some other financial goals this year.

Blessings!
Megan