While January drags on and on and on, February tends to speed right on by. Obviously the 28 days helps, but the hope and reality that spring is coming helps too.
The big news in February in the great state of West Virginia is the teacher work stoppage. (I don't think it is technically a strike because superintendents in all 55 counties have cancelled school for 7 days so far. That is a beautiful thing so people don't have to make the choice to cross or not cross a picket line. I can't imagine the position they have been in the last couple of weeks.) The school closing map has looked like this everyday.
Compared to the utter cold that was from Christmas through most of January, February was really warm. We even had a couple of record breaking warm days. A few of our days off school have been beautiful. Since I've had extra kids at my house each day, the nice weather has been a real blessing.
Jessica came to spend the weekend with Bethany. We went on a little road trip to get her and spent some time together. Love these friends.
I went to the Young Life Service Center in Colorado Springs for regional admin training. It was really great and I'm thankful for the time and investment that were made in helping us do our jobs better. Ben has done all the traveling over the years and now I can a little. Ben had 2 2-hour delays and 2 2-hour early dismissal that week. He said, "I couldn't get anything done!" WELCOME TO MY LIFE in January, February, June, July and August.
Eastern Division Region & Division Admins
Lots of laughter at some pretty great meals.
Holly, Suzy, me & Jan
Watching the Super Bowl. The Philadelphia Eagles BEAT the Patriots. Yahoo!
We finished up basketball season. Ken and Ben giving words of wisdom from the bleachers.
Serving at church. One Sunday a month Ben is the storyteller in our elementary program, I oversee the activities that day and Ted leads worship for the preschool kids. Sophie is anxious to jump in and serve in preschool next year.
We got all of our windows replaced. Oh my gosh! So amazing. A lot of our windows didn't open and you could feel the cold air coming in. Not any more. I've had the windows open more than usual this February. Love it!
This was sometime in February when it snowed. Obviously not in the last two weeks using context clues of my earlier screenshots of the accuweather app. I rolled down the window in the van to talk to Sophie before I left and she licked it the whole way down. Hilarious live photo.
A lot of warm days and afternoons spent outside at the park.
I snapped this the other day when Ted was sitting beside me. He just looked big. And old. It took me by surprise.
We drove to Virginia to surprise the Jaye's at their area YL banquet. Ben presented their award/recognition for volunteering with Young Life for 25 years. In 1998, they helped start Young Life in Bridgeport. Their kids were little/not born yet back then. Now they are all out of high school. It was fun to tell stories and spend a few hours together. What an honor!
So slime. This video right here is the story of my life - including tupperware disappearing, hoarding slime and places in our house looking like a meth lab for kids. We just discovered contact solution and baking soda, which is a lovely alternative to borax. Every time I think of this it makes me laugh.
The girls hanging with babies at basketball games!
We finished up basketball season with a good fashioned pizza party. They had tv's in there and the girls couldn't take their eyes off of Spongebob.
We've had to entertain ourselves with an unexpected 9 day (maybe more) break. One day the kids played hide-and-seek in our 1200 square foot house. (Do you know how many places there are to hide in a small house? Not many!) I work from my dining room table every day and this was my view. Bahahahaha!
We took Lily to sewing lessons. I think she was unimpressed.
Sophie and Lily got in on the picket lines. In case you can't tell, they made Lily's baby (also known as "Picket Baby") a sign that says "I Love Teachers"
Celebratory lunch with the Sizicks. Been a big week for them!
One day Sophie mentioned she wanted her hair cut. I didn't let her think about it long and she got it all cut off. So much better!
Before the big haircut. She's finished two baby blankets. One for Ruth and one for Owen.
This is their new cousins Owen and that's the blanket Sophie made for him!
The kids spent a couple of days in New Martinsville. I picked them up in Blacksville and hit a huge pothole on my way. We put on a flat spare tire. Thankfully we were at a gas station. Got a new tire and an alignment out of that stupid pothole.
New hair. New glasses.
I'm still writing 2017 on things and hoping we can all go back to school next week. Here's hoping!

































No comments:
Post a Comment