Monday, September 15, 2008

Rafting


We made it off the river alive!!!


Eating dinner with an overlook of the New River Gorge.


Stacy and her long time friends, Laura and Carissa.


For Stacy Santen's 40th birthday, she invited a group of women to go rafting on the Gauley River and stay the weekend in Fayetteville. Most of us psyched ourselves out about the whole rafting trip. I was telling Ben where the bills were, the insurance papers, the book he should read to know what to do with Sophie. And I even gave him my blessing to remarry. SERIOUSLY! On Thursday morning we left Charleston at 6:00 am. By 9:00 am we were on the river. Once we were on the river, I was fine. It was a great trip! Some of those rapids are crazy - hence the names. It's definitely something I would like to do again - but not in the near future.

Stacy hooked us up with a great cottage, treated us to dinner and breakfast, we hiked the beautiful mountains of WV, and topped it all off at Pies and Pints. The best part was just being with the girls. Two of Stacy's lifelong friends joined some friends from Charleston. Each woman is amazing in her own personal journey. Each meal, we took turns pulling questions from a bag. They ranged from "what has God been teaching you lately," to "what is your favorite movie," to other fun and sincere questions. As I spend time listening and talking with others, I am encouraged and inspired. We all have our weaknesses in life - which is what we tend to focus on - and compare ourselves with everyone. We tend to forget about the strengths that make us who we are. The things that make us the unique person that God created us to be. It was such a sweet time with other women who I love and admire greatly.

1 comment:

Carissa said...

SUCH a great weekend and LOVED getting to know you a little bit laura! you rock, seriously!