Thursday, November 18, 2010

believing god

For the past 10 weeks (ok, maybe 12), I've been doing the bible study "Believing God" by Beth Moore. It couldn't have been more timely and perfect for exactly where I am in life. So, I wanted to share some nuggets that have spoken to my heart and what I want to remember and treasure. Maybe it will make sense, maybe not. But I know the truth the Lord has shown me and I don't want to forget.

1. God is who He says He is.
2. God can do what He says He can do.
3. I am who God says I am.
4. God's word is active and alive in me.
5. I can do all things through Christ.

- God insists that I exist in my "promised land" - the place where my theology and reality meet.

- My promised land is a place of . . .
* possession - of Christ's words and much affirmatively answered prayer
* unapologetic blessing to the obedient
* abiding in Christ's love
* where God brings a great harvest and blessing
* involves conquest - there is so much more than this
* great victory over the enemy

- God wants to take me to my "Gilgal" (Gilgal means circle) where any one of the following happens (Joshua 4) . . .
* we realize that God has rolled away our reproach
* God has proved us victorious in a do-over (an opportunity to go back and get something right)
* God has taken us full circle in a significant way.

- NOTECARDS! - I'm pretty sure I've never done one of Beth's bible studies where she hasn't mentioned having notecards with scriptures that apply to your stage of life on them. I'm actually doing it and it blesses me to no end.

- God asked the Isrealites to take their stone of remembrance from the middle of the Jordan when they crossed through it. That is the half-way point, the deepest part - the place of sudden doubt and indecision. It's the place where you look back at what you know and look forward to what you don't. And remember that " . . . thus far the Lord has helped us." - Joshua 4 & I Samuel 7:12

Even though I haven't been able to finish with the actual group of women that I started this study with, I've seen this study to the end personally. The Lord's timing is perfect. I have no doubt.

1 comment:

The Cobb Family said...

What a great study, Laura. I would love to do it again.

I was in the middle of this study when Ben was born and we decided to go forward with Chad quitting his engineering job to begin pastoring RRC-TV. It was totally my Jordan, my deepest part, where I could look back to what I knew and forward to what I didn't. And all I could see in either direction was God. Oh, I am weeping, Laura. I never truly imagined the blessings. Andy stopped at the house last night and was running through my kitchen with Katie on his back. What a joy to minister with him and Courtney. And tonight we talk with our leaders about 2 services. We ran out of chairs last week.

If our God is for us, then who can ever stop us?

Oh, Laura, I can't wait to see what God has for you on the other side of this Jordan!

Sending love . . .