Tuesday, December 21, 2010

2010 christmas letter

If you didn't get our Christmas letter this year, I'm sorry! The Christmas postage budget was a bit small this year. So, here you go. Virtual Christmas cards.

As a disclaimer, if you did get one in the snail mail, this little man did ALL the stamps and return address labels. So, if something was askew, give the guy a break!



I just re-read our 2009 Christmas letter. Pretty much everything about our lives has changed in the past year. But, I’m thankful to say it’s all for the best!


In January, we started praying about where God wanted us and what we should be doing. By the end of February, we knew that He was calling us to move to Morgantown, WV. The Young Life Area Director job was open. It was a pretty big spot to fill which made it all the more scary and adventurous all at the same time. Through that process, we have seen the Lord in miraculous ways – individually, in our marriage and family, and in ministry.


We didn’t have to put our house on the market as a friend bought it. We moved out in June and into some very dear friends’ basement (all of our stuff went into storage at another friend’s house). I’m thankful to say we’re still friends! Ben and I finished up our jobs at River Ridge Church (worship and family ministry) in June. We spent the month of July at Rockbridge. Ben had another fantastic month of program with a great team of people. It was hot, hot, hot and I was super thankful that both kids loved the pool and lake. Ted actually conquered the diving board and the water slides. There were lots of kids on our assignment this year, which made for great fun. After assignment, we got our stuff out of storage and moved to Morgantown. Some other great friends from Charleston are allowing us to rent their house which suites us so nicely.


We’ve been in Morgantown about 4 months now. As much as we miss Charleston (which really means people to us), we are making a home for ourselves here. Ben has jumped into Young Life with both feet. He has a different role and is not doing direct kid work for now. He has the great privilege of leading college leaders (who are quite stellar) and working with adults in the community. It’s been a growing experience for him. We’re thankful to have him home most evenings and for a total shift in how our family functions. Ministry is happening here. Kids are hearing about Jesus, leaders are being discipled and we are confident that things will begin to happen financially as a result.


I am not working right now. The shift to stay-at-home mom was not nearly as difficult as I anticipated. However, things that factor into that include Ben being home a lot more and Ted being in school 4 days a week. I miss working but I’m thankful for this time to regroup as a family and my role in that. I’m getting on the sub list here (if I ever turn in my stuff), but definitely not crazy about it. I’m praying that something will come along that suits more of my gifting. Ben and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary in April with a trip out west. It was such great timing as we got back, hit the ground running, and haven’t stopped since!


Ted started a new preschool program this year. He goes 4 full days a week at a public school. He really loves it. His teachers are wonderful about helping us reinforce our hope for him to make good choices and be a good friend. Ted is very kind and patient with Sophie. She definitely gives his life a twist. But he is so helpful. Ted has developed an incredible love of dressing up and telling knock-knock jokes. He has recently discovered drawing and coloring and is interested in starting to spell and read. He’s also the tallest kid in his class. Ted is tender hearted and kind. This was, by far, our healthiest year for Ted and for that we are thankful! He is much more adventurous and loves a good game of “Angry Birds” on an iPhone.


Sophie is 2 ½. She is the funniest kid I’ve ever met. She didn’t say a whole lot until she was over 2. Then about 2 months ago she started talking in full sentences. She has no trouble expressing herself. Hilarious! We’ve turned the corner from toddler world (I’m into everything and have springs on my rear end) to preschooler (I’m more independent and will sit and engage myself in an activity). It’s glorious! Potty training has topped off our year as another major accomplishment and great help to the grocery budget. I’m certain we’ve touched every public toilet in Morgantown! We seem to be on the 6 month plan with some sort of injury: January she had an out-patient surgery for reoccurring nose bleeds, in July she had a concussion while we were at Rockbridge, and just last week had a fever induced seizure and got to ride in the ambulance. I guess we’re up again in June!


Life is different. Life is good. More than ever, this year we have felt incredibly loved. After 9 years in Charleston, we left with more encouragement, love and support than we would’ve ever dreamed. Relationships are wide, deep and enduring. The word that I would use to describe people is GENEROUS - completely, utterly, unabashedly generous. We have been the recipients of so much, in so many ways, I can’t even tell you. We are truly rich.


Joshua 4 shares about God giving the Israelites their second attempt to enter their promised land after wandering in the desert for 40 years. As they crossed the Jordon River (which was at flood stage but God actually made it dry ground) to enter, the Lord told them to take rocks of remembrance from the middle. The middle represented the halfway point. The deepest part. The place of sudden doubt and indecision. The place where you look to what is familiar on one side and then to the other side where all know is that God has called you there. Driving out of Charleston with our U-Haul was our middle of the Jordon. Thankfully, we have many rocks of remembrance that we have brought with us. So that we can always say “ . . . thus far the Lord has helped us.” – 1 Samuel 7:12.


So, here we are. Looking 2011 in the face. “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we can ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory in all the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever. Amen!” – Ephesians 3:20-21


With much love,

Ben, Laura, Ted & Sophie


No comments: