Wednesday, August 10, 2011

coming home

So it was hard coming home from assignment literally . . . 
We stopped for a potty break about 2 hours (of 9) out of camp and this is what we found. A flat on the trailer
And the spare was no good either. It was reminiscent of the "goat having emergency surgery trip to Lake Champion" from 2005. If only I had blogged back then . . . .
This kind, kind man let us use his tools b/c the lug nuts were stuck. He reminded me of my Dad. Helpful, knowledgeable and kind to people who just needed help.
So we drove 4 miles to a tire shop to have a new tire put on. We walked about 1/2 mile to a Subway for lunch. And two hours after the potty stop, got back on the road. It took 13 hours to get home. I believe I'm the curse in this travel b/c Ben has made the trip three times in 9 hours or less. It took me 12 hours to get there in holiday traffic.
This was the van. Alex (one of our leaders) and Sophie rode with me. Sophie was snuggled in with things at her feet and both sides of her. Ben drove the truck with Clinton and Ted. There was not an inch of extra room in their truck either.
 But it was also coming back in general. I had a really hard time coming back to Morgantown. Not real sure why. I just did. I think I mainly felt sad for Ben who worked so hard and had such a long month to come home to an area in deficit, 2 banquets (thankfully b/c of the deficit but that's still a lot of work), and WVU students coming back this week and school starting next week. There's no rest. (But I do want to say we have wonderful people doing the banquet and a great partner in ministry working with the WVU students). It's just a lot to even wrap your brain around sometimes. I think I feel it for Ben more than he feels it for himself. He's just been really quiet. But I'm really proud of him for turning off his computer and coming home to play games, go to the pool and mow the grass.

I quit my job while I was at camp that I had just worked the month of June. It really wasn't working for me or for Sophie. I've never quit a job I worked a month. It was best though. I had something else lined up when I quit or I wouldn't have otherwise. I wasn't real sure what my new job would look like. I've since started and it's going to be great. I just want to do what's best for our family financially and as a mom and wife. It's such a hard line to figure out right now.

And we've been so busy since we've been home. I'm kind of ready for school to start - and routine. We have Kindergarten orientation next week. Crazy to think about. The kids have re-cooperated but it took about a week. We're just back to "life."

The scene most mornings. They're finally figuring out how to share the couch. We got a sweatshirt blanket as an assignment gift. Ben wanted something colorful so I picked pink and brown. I don't think it's quite what he had in mind!
I found this on the couch the other day. Sophie's baby covered up with her inside-out night gown. She loves her babies. Currently, they are all named "baby"
This is Sophie's first coloring without scribbling. She's actually starting to color in general areas. It was a sweet surprise. Coloring, play-doh and water colors have taken up large chunks of our time lately.

And our friends Josh & Bethany moved to town last weekend. I am so, so thrilled to have them here. They have Ellie (4) and Hudson (2). They've been over for dinner and we went to the parade together earlier week. I'm so glad to have them in Morgantown. Lots of fun to come!!

No comments: