I read these two books in May (haven't picked up a book since) . . .
Go ahead and do yourself a favor. Read both of them. Tim Keller's is the more biblical, structured book. Jen Hatmaker's is the rubber-meets-the-road, real life, HILARIOUS book. They both address the topic of what we see as idols and what we have compared to so many others.
I had a big blog about this planned in my mind for months, but I'll just share two quotes with you:
"Contemporary observers have often noted that
modern Christians are just as materialistic as everyone else in our
culture." - Tim Keller
"For years I didn't realize [how rich we really were] because so many had more. We were surrounded by extreme affluence, which tricks you into thinking you're middle of the pack. I mean, sure, we have twenty-four hundred square feet for only five humans to live in, but our kids have never been on an airplane, so how rich could we be? We haven't traveled to Italy, my kids are in public schools, and we don't even own a time-share. (Roll eyes here.)
But it gets fuzzy once you spend time with people below your rung. I started seeing my stuff with fresh eyes, realizing we have everything. I mean everything. We've never missed a meal or even skimped on one. We have a beautiful home in a great neighborhood. Our kids are in a Texas exemplary school. We drive two cars under warranty. We've never gone a day without health insurance. Our closets are overflowing. We throw away food we didn't eat, clothes we barely wore, trash that will never disintegrate, stuff that fell out of fashion.
I was so blinded I didn't even know we were rich"
- Jen Hatmaker
These books have haunted me (in a good way) since I read them, and have helped me turn the corner (for the most part) in some of my thought processes. Jen Hatmaker is my newest favorite author and for sure my favorite blog to read. Funny, honest, raw, real. You can read her blog here. Put her in your google reader for a good laugh and a bump up in feeling-better-about-yourself-as-a-mother category.
1 comment:
Agreed! You can't read Jen Hatmaker's book and not be changed!
Post a Comment