Last weekend, Ben and I went here
![]() | ||
| (that would be The Greenbrier) |
So Ben could pastor this wedding . . .
![]() |
| (that would be Steph Jordon & Ed Haden) |
Steph and Ed are really cool. Ben had a great time doing their wedding and marriage counseling. They soaked up everything. It was such an honor to be part of their marriage preparations. It was an impressive 3 days of celebration, parties, food, friends and LOTS of fun. I'm still not sure how I feel about the whole luxury experience. It was a bit overwhelming and the decor was definitely overstimulating. I'm so glad we did it though. It was fun to explore and take it all in.

Some of the highlights included:
- the best bed I've ever slept in and the most incredible robe ever. Definitely doesn't compare to my Target bedding and 8 year old Victoria's Secret robe!
- a hot rocks massage and pedicure at the spa. Definitely not crazy about the hot rocks. Interesting to say the least. I think I'll stick with hands on.
- An amazing breakfast buffet with an amazing bill.
- a 6 course meal for the rehearsal dinner. Amazing!
- the Saturday night party at a beautiful home.
- having the valet park our 2001 Honda Accord (with a HUGE dent in the rear bumper that we are not going to fix and the leather ripping off the drivers seat - real nice!)
- packing in garment bags: sure sign that we are out of comfort zone. I tend to pack in laundry baskets, So much easier than suitcases!
- lunch with some of the GYL girls!
But the absolute highlight . . . Seeing these beautiful faces, having lunch with a few of them and lots of wonderful conversations of catching up on life.
![]() |
| michelle, me, rebecca & mary margaret |
![]() |
| julia, cat, kaity o, me & claire |
![]() |
| sarah, me & jane |
![]() |
| me, megan, michelle, kaity and varsha |
![]() |
| em & I |
![]() |
| grant & ben |
Steph was the bride. She went on our very first camp trip ever from Charleston in 2002 to Rockbridge. We had what you would call GYL (Girl's Young Life) - a discipleship group of these girls. Their class was instrumental in starting YL.Absolutely unreal.
Steph's sister is Emily. Emily was younger than Steph. Several of the girls in her class had sisters in the GYL group. We had YaLa - a bible study that Stacy Santen and I led for 3 years. For more than a year we met on Friday mornings at 6:30 am. Then we moved to Sunday nights. They used to make my brain hurt with all their questions. I love them. They were a cabin of about 15 freshmen girls that Stacy led at Lake Champion.
Some of these girls I haven't seen in a million years - or maybe 5 or 6. But a long time. It was so fun to catch up with them, hear about the really neat things they are doing and to see where they are in life. I was so incredibly blessed by them. Those were literally the hay day of YL in Charleston. Ben and I were going full speed. Ted was born with the YaLa girls were seniors. They threw me a surprise post-baby shower with their mom's. I retired from being a volunteer leader when they graduated. It just seemed like the right time.
I wish I could adequately express the blessing it was to be with so many of them. I can't really wrap my heart around it. So I'll move on.
It was an impressive wedding to say the least. I felt honored that we were asked to be part of it. Definitely an experience like none other. Congratulations, Steph & Ed! We are so excited for the journey that lies ahead of you.
And I'll leave you with this image . . .
Ted helped me unload the car and this is where he put the garment bags.
Ben was in recovery.
PS - Thank you Lisa Godwin, once again, for allowing me to dress shop in your closet.















1 comment:
Laura, you are so sweet. I'm so glad we got to spend that weekend with you! So wonderful catching up. Pease keep in touch! Love you!
Post a Comment