Wednesday, May 14, 2008

2 1/2 is my favorite

2 1/2 is definitely my favorite age so far. I always get nervous when moving into new ages and stages . . . will I still enjoy my kid as much? Will it be harder? What is going to be the big guessing game now? If only Ted were potty trained, I think I would keep him this age forever.

Six months ago, I was laying on the couch puking my guts out. Ted couldn't (or wouldn't) entertain himself. He wouldn't watch anything on TV. I still had to do so much for him. Six month makes a big difference. Now, he can entertain himself for long periods of time. He tells me what he wants. He gets diapers, wipes, the remote (he has some sort of remote radar), can get his own snacks, and watches stuff on TV. I can reason with him. He's a great sleeper - 11 hours at night and 2 hours during the day. He's a rather obedient and compliant child - we do have our days where he's in timeout more than his fair share. But those days seem to be fewer and further between. He is so clever and creative. He repeats everything - not always a good thing, especially for sporting events! He always loves a new adventure. The things he remembers are amazing. At any moment he will break into song . . . anything from "Who Let The Dog's Out", to "I Am a Friend of God", to "Ba, Ba Black Sheep." Maybe Ted is an exceptionally good kid. Maybe he's not. Maybe I'm in for it with #2 . . .

I have especially loved watching his relationship with Ben grow and develop. There's something about a boy with his dad. I'm sure it's so much easier on Ben now that he only has to take a sippy cup and a diaper and hit the road. No more girly diaper bags. But Ted loves sports and music - so they have a lot in common. Ted loves going to sporting events with Ben and can always give full details when he gets home. I love this special relationship that they are developing. I always said I could do all boys - but as I watch Ben and Ted, it makes me hope this baby is a girl. So, we can share that same sort of relationship.

No comments: