Tuesday, July 7, 2009

week 1, day 1

Well, we made it past the part I was dreading the most. Dinner and Club on night 1. Ted has some fear issues that can be absolutely paralyzing to him. One being lots of noise and choas in situations that he is not familiar with. I was slightly concerned in that I couldn't hold he and Sophie at the same time. But today went rather well.

We went to the pool after lunch and watched the campers arrive. We haven't seen much of Ben which is really hard for Ted. Yesterday he was convinced that Ben was lost. Today, he just keep looking for yellow tshirts b/c he knew that was what color he was wearing. After naps, we hit the snack bar to hold us off for a late dinner, looked around the camp store, and saw our friends who are here this week, John and Martha, Matt and Stacy, and Josh and Katie. Then came dinner . . .

Ted did well and even engaged in conversation with Ken (property staff guy) who sat next to him. But after dinner, all he would do was stand on his chair and wait for Daddy to come out the doors. He was so set on this that he passed up the giant cookie smothered in ice cream. In the meantime, Sophie is tired of being cooped up in the high chair and I've let her on the floor to scavenge. This went on through dessert, rules, and the beginning of the "Girls Wrestle for Guys" sell. He stood there waiting - didn't move a muscle. When Ben came out in his tux to be the ringmaster, Ted said, "Let's get out of here!" What? I later discovered that Daddy didn't have his silly teeth in so Ted wasn't interested. Sheesh!

So, we waited for Club. Ted had to be held. Sophie wanted to be on the floor. She climbed up and down and up and down and up and down the last three platform steps in the club room for about 25 minutes. In the dark or light, next to kids she didn't know at all, and letting strange people she didn't even know (but I do) move her from one place to another. Ted wouldn't even smile when they played "Move Along" - one of his favorites. Thankfully, Ben has the appearance of wearing his "silly teeth" for the run on. And Ted stood there watching him until Kirk came out and was doing things - then he was ready to go. That was it - DONE! If his dad isn't center stage he wants nothing to do with it!

So, it was bedtime for Sophie anyways. I can't even explain to you the lack of fear she has and the way she is completely unaffected by hundreds of screaming high school kids that she crawls into the middle of. Meanwhile, I've got Ted hanging on to me for dear life. But we made it. And Ted even said that he kind of liked Club. I guess we can go back tomorrow. I feel like I've been in a wrestling match between the two of them and pushing this stroller hither and yon. But it was a good 1st official day of camp. Pictures to come - I don't feel like walking upstairs to get my camera.

2 comments:

WVmedicgirl said...

glad to hear you made it so far...

thesawhooks said...

How funny! Loved this post!