Sunday, January 30, 2011

influenza

Influenza (also known as the flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by flu viruses. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. The flu is different from a cold. The flu usually comes on suddenly. People who have the flu often feel some or all of these symptoms:

  • Fever* or feeling feverish/chills
  • Cough
  • Sore throat
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Headaches
  • Fatigue (tiredness)
  • Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
This is what went through our family over a period of 4 days this week. Along with 2 snow days thrown in there, my house is disgusting, laundry is piled up and everyone is exhausted and still sounding a little gross with coughs and lost voices.

Tuesday - Ben
Wednesday - Ben and Ted and snow day
Thursday - Ted and Laura and snow day
Friday - Laura and Sophie

Sophie got it the least. Just a fever and a slow day for her. It hit the rest of us pretty hard. Sophie took full advantage of people down and out by using Ted's bed as a trampoline, pouring out the end of a gallon of milk to use in her play kitchen, eating pancakes all day Friday b/c that's all I could muster up the strength to feed her. Ted just started eating again today. I lost 5 pounds - which is never really that bad.

The biggest bummer is that I wasn't able to go to our YL Leadership Weekend at Oglebay. For the first time in 5 years, I have a role in Young Life. Not a direct ministry role with kids. But being with leaders and doing ministry beside Ben. I go to Leadership most Sunday evenings and do a bible study with the girl leaders on Friday mornings. I try to feed at least a few of them every week. I would love to do more, but at this point, it's what I can. So I was so excited to get to spend the weekend with them. They are quite a stellar group of young adults who love Jesus. It's always a great time of building relationships and being together and laughing. And I just wanted to be part of it. I tried so hard. But as the day went on on Friday, I got sicker and sicker. And then Sophie got a fever and I really couldn't push her limits. So Sophie and I stayed home. Ben went to Wheeling. Ted went to New Martinsville.

Now, Sophie and I have had a couple of rough weeks together. She's pushing her limits and I've been way less than patient with her. But she totally redeemed herself with snuggling on the couch with me all evening. We watched several hours of Nick Jr dvd's (which is not really her thing) and we even revived Baby Einstein videos on Saturday morning. We both went to bed at 8pm on Friday night at slept till 8am. It was much needed.

After her nap on Saturday, we drove to Wheeling for dinner and Club. When we lived in Charleston, on Sunday mornings I used to get Ted and Sophie out of their small groups early and take them into the service for the last song. Sophie would go to the front and dance!! She loved dancing while Ben led worship. At Club last night, she danced her little heart out. And she would walk right up to the stage and wave to Ben. She misses that. It was such a sweet picture of dancing out of pure joy and delight.

I'm thankful I got to go for even a few hours. Although I wish it would've been for so much longer.

2 comments:

Carolyn E. Berlepsch said...

i LOVED seeing her come up and wave to Ben, it was so very sweet! She had the biggest smile on her face :) I'm glad you made it up for the evening!

Bethany E. Ward said...

We all missed you so much! I'm glad you are starting to feel better and I hope you can get more rest this week. It was wonderful to see Sophie in her glory last night!