Saturday, April 30, 2011

11 years

Happy 11th anniversary, Ben Tuel. Can you believe it's been 11 years? (Our anniversary was actually yesterday . . . )

I'm going to go ahead and say that this has definitely been our best year. I think we've come a very, very long way this year. Maybe it's because we both weren't running around like crazy people. Maybe b/c, for a time, we were all the other one had. Maybe it's b/c we were together and very like minded in very big things. Maybe it's b/c we looked to the other's interest above our own a little more. Maybe it's b/c we tried to speak each other's love language a little bit more - or the language of love and respect. (Both of those books are on my top 10 lists!) Maybe it's a combination of all of the above. However it looks, I loved this year. 

I'll just say this - I don't think Ben and I have a "naturally easy marriage." Whatever that means. We are 2 very different, very independent people. There have been seasons where we shared responsibilities but that's about all. We don't think alike. We don't act alike. So when I see growth, when I see victories - I am proud of us. I really am. Because I know how much work it took. I see that we've really grown and changed as individuals, and, as a result, our marriage has grown and changed in such huge ways, it's exciting. Encouraging. It makes me so thankful. Really thankful.

The other night we were talking about me going back to work and Ben said he wished he had a job that made a lot of money. So that I didn't have to work or we could buy a house that we actually wanted to buy. I've thought and thought about that. And I don't. I don't wish he worked a job where he made lots of money. Well, sometimes I do. I'm not going to lie. I struggle with jealousy sometimes and wanting what others have. But when I sit down and think about it, I realize how crazy that is. I realize the experiences that we would miss out on. The things our kids would miss out on. Living right on the edge of where God wants us. Not that people who make lots of money don't experience those things. I just like what we have. And I'm thankful for that. And I know we're right where God wants us. And all of those things are temporary. And I'm just darn thankful to live this life together - no matter what we have or don't have, no matter what we do or don't do.

So, here's to year #12. Cheers!

1 comment:

The Cobb Family said...

Laura - Have you ever thought about the song Made to Worship as a love song? Think about the words. I believe that Chad and I were made to worship and to love and to surrender and believe together! I believe the same thing about you and Ben! What a great couple you are and the lives you touch. Money is worth nothing compared to that!