Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 recap

Our first married New Year's Eve (2000) we spent with these lovely people . . . (a picture of a picture!)


Ben & Laura, Stacy & Matt, Jay & Amanda
It was the year 2000. The Santen's had 2 kids. The Teodoro's and the Tuel's had 0. We piled in the Santen's relatively new green Honda Odyssey and went to Hibatchi for dinner. I don't remember much about dinner other than we had a lot of fun. We went Kroger on Patteson drive afterwards to get whatever champagne they had left. It was gross b/c there was no selection at 9:00 on New Year's Eve. Matt would only drink his with orange juice. As I was recently thinking of this, I realized he was drinking mimosa's. I think that might be good reason to take away his man card. We played games (I believe win, lose or draw was a hot one that year) and maybe some cards. And rang in the New Year together. It was really, really fun. And the one we kind of compare the rest to.

I believe the following year we did go to Hitbatchi again. I know for sure we went with the Teodoro's. The rest is kind of fuzzy. We had moved to Charleston then. And a couple years ago we did Hibatchi in Charleston with the Santen's and the Young's.

Last night, we did Hibatchi yet again with the Teodoro's, Josh & Bethany Underdonk, and Cameron and Sarah King. We had 7 kids at our house and 2 sitters. I had high hopes of talking about the highlights of 2011 and goals for 2012. But we had the most horrendous seating. We were all together technically, but really our food was cooked and served in two different areas, at two different times. It was nearly impossible to talk. But, either way, it was fun to be out with friends. Some of our longest and newest friends. But I've certainly decided that we absolutely can not celebrate New Year's at Hibatchi without either the Santen's or the Teodoro's. Thanks, friends, for celebrating with us! I'm so disappointed that I didn't take any pictures.

Anyways, I'm still fighting this cold thing and wasn't feeling well this morning. So everyone went to church without me. I spent about 2 hours reading over my journals from this year and really looking at all that God has done this year. Astounding. So here are 3 words to sum up the year 2011 . . .

1) provision - We spend 5 months of the year 2011 on reduced or no salary. In all reality, it should have been much, much more. We are beyond thankful for the months of January-April and Oct-December that we got full paychecks. Our missing salary was mostly covered in the most amazing ways and we had a savings account to help us. Even with Ted's surgery we have been so blessed with good insurance, our deductibles being covered and so much I can't even tell you.

2) hard - this was a hard year. Not going to lie. Ben was gone a lot in the spring. We were finishing up getting out of the old office. Preparing for a program assignment that was just straight up hard. I worked a summer job that was brutal. Financially it was stressful - although the Lord provides, it still hangs over you. Ted's surgery. The first half of the year was just still figuring things out for the area and being fairly overwhelmed. But, what I really understand is that had hard does not equal bad. This was still a great year. The Lord taught us much and showed Himself mighty faithful. Hard does not equal bad.

3) God's heart - There were several times this year that I really felt like God showed me His heart about certain things for our family. And instead of nagging to make them happen or manipulating things to make it the way I wanted and I thought that God had showed me, I prayed about them and I was responsible for myself. And I watched God transform the hearts of those around me, and my own. Really, it's pretty impressive and way less responsibility on me. I loved being in a place where I could hear what He wanted from us.

So, here's to 2011. Bring it, 2012!



No comments: