Monday, February 20, 2012

i have decided . . .

In the short three years and nine months of Ted and Sophie's coexistence, one of them has always been in some sort of stage or season that I've been ready to leave behind. Until recently. This weekend actually. And it was a three day weekend to top the whole thing off. If I could keep them at 6 years 5 months and 3 years and 9 months together, I think I would do it. I like them and I'm having fun with them. And they're having a lot of fun with each other.

Ted has become a bit of a home body. When he gets home from pretty much anywhere, he puts on his pj's and is ready to settle in the for the evening, or the afternoon and evening as the case may be. I've recently discovered that if I need to get him out of the house after school, it's in our best interest for me to just pick him up at school and not come home first. He likes school enough that he goes without a fuss or a fight. But he really just loves to be home with us the most. He still loves to snuggle at night. And Sunday afternoon we had a little movie "date" on the couch at his request.

Strangely enough, 3 was Ted's worst year. But it has been Sophie's best. We're working on keeping her "sas" under control. I've been calling her Sassy the Cat - who is really the Godwins 17 + year old cat that Sophie liked to overfeed. Sassy is such a hard word for kids to understand - she keeps telling me that she's not a cat! But she's getting the hang of big kid things like being able to buckle herself in the car and getting out of bed on her own. She's independent enough, and funny and sweet. And a tad bossy. But we're working on that too.

And maybe the best thing about this whole realization is that it comes in the middle of several really overwhelming and busy weeks for Ben. Usually when he's gone a lot, things fall apart and it's just not pretty. So it's a sweet gift to know this in the middle of this season.


In other news . . . 

- Ted had a follow-up with his neurologist last week. He is on the lowest dose possible for his seizure medicine. So in 2 weeks he's going to have another EEG. If all looks well, we'll get to take him off the Keppra. I don't mind it. It doesn't seem to bother him at all. I'd just much rather not have to. This time we will remove all glue immediately after and avoid any more unnecessary hair removal.

- Sophie has moved to the 3rd row of the van b/c she can now buckle herself about 90% of the time. Ted has moved to the middle row which I think is helping his car sickness. So now I'm getting a gazillion questions from Ted  during every car ride. I guess he's been back there thinking lots of things and not asking for the past 1+ years.

- Tonight Ted and I were laying in bed talking about fun things we have planned for the summer. I was encouraging him on his new found manners and kindness and said, "How did that happen?" He said, "The only thing I can think of is God." He is so right. And it's a blessing to be reminded by my 6 year old of how God can change us when we don't even really realize it.

- The month of February seems to be rather picture-less according to my archives. I thought I had a lot more interesting things to say. But I guess not.

1 comment:

The Huffmans said...

It's encouraging (in a way) to hear that 3 was Ted's worst year. I keep looking at Jack, now 3, and thinking what happened to my sweet little guy? He's only been 3 for a couple months and it's already looking like 3 will not be a great year-so it's good to know it passes!!!