Thursday, July 10, 2014

and i would drive 847 miles


So the kids and I drove 847 miles on the 4th of July weekend. I never know how they get those statistics about how many miles people travel on any given holiday, but I just gave whoever whatever they needed. This was part of the "summer is kicking my butt" tour.

On Friday we went to the River. There were over 10 kids there this weekend, which made for a lot less entertaining on my part. The weather was absolute perfection - 80 and low humidity.


Friday we did some small fireworks. This is a great picture of the kids waiting for one of those parachute men that fell from the fireworks. So fun for them.





They played and played badmitten - although no one was particularly awesome at it.


We have pictures of us (the parents) like this when we were their ages in this exact spot.



And the highlight for all 3 of us was riding Eugene's jet ski. That was so great! I could ride one of those all day. He is so very generous with his boat and jet ski, and so great with the kids.




We (well the kids) did some swimming. The river was fast this weekend so they didn't swim too much. It was high last week and had eaten away at the bank so they added some tires and the kids threw rocks to hold the tires.


They consumed lots of food, wore swimming suits all day and ran around in bare feet. It was a great kid day.



We got a few boat rides in too.




Back in Morgantown, our Young Life camp trip left Saturday morning. There was a Fairmont/Grafton bus, a Clay-Battelle/Hundred bus, and a Morgantown bus. One of committee members posted this picture on social media and it made me cry. THREE bus loads of kids from the Mountaineer Area. It somehow made a hard year completely worth it. Worth dealing with kids and leaders and loss and money and heartache and frustration and demands and banquets and parents and a host of other things.


In kind of an impromptu decision early in the week, the kids and I packed up on Sunday and drove 5 hours west to Lake Champion. We had a couple of adult guests that had ridden up with Ben and I was going to drive them home so Ben could stay the entire week at camp. Him being there as an extra hand and resource turned out to be a really great choice with having so many kids there.


Really the only reason I went was to get to see Adrienne! We stayed the night with her and Brian and got to hang out for a few hours on Sunday evening. Isn't she the cutest? I sure do miss her a lot. She came into our lives shortly after Ted was born and was around for Sophie. I wish I could be with her for her little one.


The standard "watching club from the leaders lounge" picture.


Playing some fooseball before the Dance Party/Rave.

Ted did the climbing wall before we left.




It was Sophie's first trip to Lake Champion. We were on assignment at Lake Champion when I was pregnant with Ted and then again when he was about 18 months old. So this was the first trip that he'll remember. They have done so much work there and it's so beautiful. They also rebuilt the A-Team housing (so long, Petra) so I'm game to go back anytime!

We were there less than 24 hours before we packed up and headed 7 hours south with Whitney and Nolan. The company on the way home was nice. My kids don't really sleep in the car so I allow them to watch dvd's the entire way. There's a small amount of guilt - but not really.

Happy Birthday Weekend, America!

No comments: