Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day Guest

Ben Tuel is my guest blogger today. He's putting Andy and I to shame in the Happy Mother's Day department. To all you mother's who will read this, take this as encouragement that your kids notice (or will someday) all that you do for them. Enjoy, Terri. Get the tissues out . . .

Mom, you have been a MOM for 35 years and counting – Wow!  (I'm the only one getting older, not you.) I wanted to write you a little something entitled – YOU ARE THE ONE. These are 35 things that fall under the category “You are The One” although there are million. I love you!

1. You are the one that went through those few days in labor and brought me into this world – I don’t remember it but I know it happened because I am here now and I can put two and two together.

2. You are the one that I think of when I hear the song “Mrs. Robinson” not because of the content of the song but because of the situation in which we remember it…you remember.

3. You are the one that makes me those amazing cream wafers every Christmas!

4. You are the one that wouldn’t let me cross the street until I had a driver’s license.

5. You are the one that took me to my first STEELERS game.  

6. You are the one that was first on the scene to my broken arm and drove me to Wheeling.  Remember listening to my bones grind together on that trip?

7. You are the one that made going to a gas station one Christmas Eve the most memorable Christmas Eve yet!

8. You are the one that showed so much strength when the storms in our life really hit hard.  You were the rock even when you didn’t want to be.
  
9. You are the one that taught me what it was to LEAD.  Watching you LEAD people at 4H camp and everything else – such a gift!

10. You are the one that laughed right along with us that night in church.  Laughing without being able to help it – what a gift from God.  Grandad didn’t think it was so funny – I think he thinks its funny now for sure!

11. You are the one that read chapter after chapter of history and science to me – or you had your friends do it (EVA, et al.)

12. You are the one that put music into my life….I LOVE IT!

13. You are the one that showed up to Rockbridge as an adult guest to watch me in action.

14. You are the one that was on the other end of the phone when Sophie was down for the count as I said “Don’t panic”, then I panicked and you didn’t for some reason….then I felt okay.

15. You are the one that slept on Andy’s floor night after night when he was sick. 

16. You are the one that I loved to bring my Young Life kids home for the weekend to EAT, EAT, EAT! Amazing!

17. You are the one that bought us that cool red 1991 pontiac sunbird.

18. You are the one that was there when I gave my first sermon.

19. You are the one that made me crazy at times because you were being mom.

20. You are the one that made Christmas really amazing.  Decorating the tree to music, presents under the tree, advent calendars, Christmas cookies, all of it.

21. You are the one that typed countless papers and spell checked all kinds of stuff.

22. You are the one who whistled and we could hear you from Bruce Park! And we better COME HOME..like NOW!

23. You are the one that made me feel weird in the normal English speaking world because of my “like” of MILK TOAST – cause no one else did! Haha.  

24. You are the one that did all the holidays right and even let Andy and I destroy an entire batch of Easter eggs with our golf clubs – right on Fourth Street. Awesome!

25. You are the one that has done things for me that I will never even know because you love me.

26. You are the one that taught me about integrity.  A right and a wrong and it mattered.

27. You are the one that when you yelled; “BEN” I wouldn’t say “WHAT” I would just come.  Saying “WHAT” just made for a long pause which meant – uhhhhh….COME HERE!

28. You are the one that helped me not do a lot of dumb stuff - b/c frankly I was afraid of the consequences.

29. You are the one (among others) who LOVES my WIFE!

30. You are the one that if everyone else “stopped” in my life you wouldn’t because you can’t!

31. You are the one that housed my friend in high school forever.

32. You are the one that made me go to GHA even though I fought you on it – and I was better for it.

33. You are the one that wrapped my poison ivy with gauze every summer so I could play baseball.

34. You are the one that kept all my rewards and achievements on file. So you could give them to me later?  No, because I matter to you more than I ever really know!

35. You are the one that, when Ted was born, I thought of how much you love me and I DON’T GET IT.  You look at me like I look at my kids and I begin to see not only how much you love me but how much my heavenly Father loves me!  You showed me Christ’s love my whole life – with encouraging words and hard words and being there everytime!

I LOVE YOU MOM!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This even made me tear up...Thanks Ben! (and Laura)
Steph

Jan Thomas said...

I should've known you'd make me weep! Very nicely said, Ben. You make a nice guest blogger. :o)
PS I think she's pretty great, too.

Terri said...

Ben Tuel, It has been an amazing honor to stand in the wings and watch God shape you. You have made me proud every day of your life, except one (the snow-shoveling day). Let's continue to grow together. I love you, Ben. Mom

Pam Swope said...

Tears in eyes---love ya, Pam

Bethany E. Ward said...

My eyes are full of tears. Not just because of the sweet words, but because I KNOW the greatness that is Terri Goddard. Well said, Ben!