Friday, May 13, 2011

single parenting

I've been a single parent this week. Ben's been at Lost Canyon (YL camp in Arizona) for a class. He is 0 for 2 in getting home easily from his training classes out west. Not to Ben: Pick one in a closer time zone next year. Thankfully it was an absolutely beautiful week. It went from raining and who knows what temperature to sunny and 70's & 80's everyday. We spent a lot of time outdoors, took a walk/bike ride everyday and hit every park in Morgantown this week. Thanks to our friends who played and friends who had us over for dinner.

Technology makes Ben being gone a little easier and a little more fun. I try to text him a video everyday of one of the kids. Between texting and twitter, I at least feel like I'm connected with him a little bit and know what's going on. 

A little of our week . . .

I cooked once. The rest of the week involved breakfast for dinner, leftovers,
Chik-Fil-A and dinner at a friends house. When Ben's gone, we are horrible eaters.

We had a dinner theatre (aka eat in front of the tv) one night and the kids watched last summers
Program Opera. We then went on to watch it everyday. Again, I love the things my kids know b/c of Young Life.


It was such a beautiful week. Thank you Lord for lots of sunshine and
even a few pink arms and faces a couple of days.

We played lots of dress up.

And took lots of walks

We played at the park and didn't feed any ducks. Sophie kept calling the geese "greeses".

I gave Sophie a bucket of water and a scrub brush to wash of the colored bubbles.
If you missed that post on facebook, I'll just warn you to never ever,
never ever buy your kids the colored bubbles. They are washable just like the label says.
But the mess - oh the mess. Totally not worth it.

Then the kids washed the truck with the leftover water and some wipes. 



We are very excited for Ben to get home tonight. Thursday evening and most of the day today were pretty hairy. Definitely not my best parenting moments. Everyone needs a good wrestle with daddy.

I've always had a special place in my heart for single mom's. I just appreciate them. I may not have always shown that very well. But, I do. I have several very good friends who are single moms. And I respect the heck out of them. If you know a single mom, give them a hug, take her kids for a couple of hours, invite her over for dinner, tell her she's doing a wonderful job, tell her "Happy Mother's Day" when her kids are too little to tell her or actually appreciate the holiday - just love on her a little bit. Or a lot. Because, unlike my single parenting stints, hers isn't just a stint.

No comments: