Ben and I left Morgantown Sunday night after leadership. Our flight was early enough Monday morning that it would've been crazy for us to get up and out in the middle of getting ready for school. So we went to John & Shawna's. I started feeling gross at eadership and by the time I got to Shawn's I was straight up sick with what I believe was a nasty case of food poisoning! I wasn't sure whether I could get on a plane or not. But I decided that I would much rather be sick in sunny Florida than in rainy Pittsburgh. I felt pretty yucky the first two days, but pushed through it.
Ben's YL College pre-conference started Monday evening. I had dinner with Sarah King (her husband Cameron was with Ben) at the Italian restaurant at the hotel. We explored a little bit and then I layed in my bed, with the balcony door wide open and finished a book. Glorious!
Tuesday morning I got up for a walk and quiet time by the pool, but found friends instead. Koila and Elizabeth had already chosen their seats for the day. Brooke and Cat joined us later. As I spent the afternoon dozing by the pool (while Ben was learning more about YL College), I loved listening to all the reunions, hugs and laughter taking place around me as people arrived. Tuesday was the travel day for everyone not attending pre-conference. It's amazing how fast people can get their suitcases to their room, registered and hit the pool. These are people that we work hard with and beside, but rarely get to play together. Yes, we spend months of our summers living in the same house, but it's hard, hard work. And you put a bunch of leaders together with no responsibility when that's usually all they know, and it's straight up a good time.
Cameron, Sarah, Ben and I went to Downtown Disney to stroll, eat dinner and some Ghiradelli ice cream! We hit up the Lego store. Always amazing. And we took lots of pictures with us with characters our kids would love.
Lego Buzz & Woddy

Lego Snow White & Dopey. The kids watched this for the first time last week.
Sophie calles Dopey, Dupey!
Lego Woody
Lego Dragon a& Knight
Sleeping Beauty
Mr. Potato Head
Day 1 of the actual ASC was amazing. We had a morning session and prayer time, after which we (well, actually Shawna and Bethany) sprinted to the pool to stake out a good spot. It felt like the kids at camp running from lunch to the zipline or tubing! Our evening session lasted about 5 minutes . . . Because they surprised us by busing all 4,000 of us to Sea World which they had rented just for us! Along with great new jackets.
On the bus, planning which coasters to ride first
Several different eateries around the parks set up buffets with all we could eat
We had our evening session in the amphitheatre
Which included great program (as always).
Pete & Susan doing the "Funny Before The Funny"
(They is taken from a screen, that's why it's blurry)
We had music by the Cash Family Band
And a visit from and stand up routine by Jeff Foxworthy. I laughed till I cried.
And then he made us cry with the story of a YL kid that he's befriended who
was shot in a hunting accident. Unbelievable. Four years ago, Jeff let his wife
do all the spiritual talking. This year, he brought it himself.
And fireworks - they were amazing!
Then all 4,000 of us watched Shamu
Ben had the bright idea of sitting in the front row. One splash later we were gone!
Posing with the flamingos that you can't see.
Sea World has an amazing roller coaster there - Manta. We rode a couple of other rides and caught the LAST bus back. We can still hang! Which was questionable when we arrived with the above pictured people on the bus. Thankfully, we found some friends closer to our age (and speed) and never looked back.
It was like a night at camp. Surprise. Laughter. Feeling incredibly loved and appreciated. Seriously, 4,000 people in matching jackets, loving life and just happy to be there. Quite a sight!



No comments:
Post a Comment