Monday, January 30, 2012

young life celebration 2012 - the history


 Ben and I just got back from a most wonderful week in Florida. Every 4 years, Young Life has an All Staff Conference in Orlando. Great speakers, lots of fun and laughter, great surprises, theme parks and Florida in January! This year, the name was changed from "conference" to "celebration" as Young Life is celebrating 70 years of reaching kids for Jesus. There were many times throughout the week that I felt like a first time kid at camp. Wowed, surprised, laughing till our sides hurt, moved to tears, feeling loved and cared for, and being with friends that we love so dearly. It was a little slice of heaven.

This was our 4th ASC. Honestly, I don't remember tons about all of them. Probably b/c I have about 4 pictures total from the previous 3.

The first one we went to was in 2000. I kind of crashed it as we weren't married yet. I stayed one night with the Teodoro's and one night with the Santen's at the Conference. They were very generous. I wouldn't be. Then two nights with my old YL leaders family who had moved to the Orlando Area. I hit the theme parks with everyone and was able to attend a session or two. Everyone stayed at the Disney hotels near the Disney Boardwalk that year - the Swan, the Dolphin, etc.

Park Day with Jay & Rachel Mitlo, Andy Deiffenbach and Jay & Amanda Teodoro


In 2004, we accidentally took someone's luggage to the airport and it cost us $40 to send it back in a cab. We previewed the movie "The Passion of the Christ" before it was in theaters and heard from Jim Cavezel. This was the first one we had at the Marriott World Center - NICE! I think it was a little cooler that year. That information is strictly based on the pictures I found.

 Park Day (obviously Epcot) with Jay & Amanda Teodoro and Scott & Susie Berg.

The too full trunk that we later realized was b/c we took an extra
suitcase (none of ours)to the airport. That put a damper on some spirits!


I was pregnant with Sophie in 2008. I was trying to ween myself off anti-nausea meds at the time and it wasn't going well. My thoughts revolved mainly around where and when the next meal was and that I just wanted to take a nap - all the time! I was not fun that year. At all. Hence, not a picture to be found. I remember hearing several speakers that year that's we'd heard at the Willow Creek Summit a year or two before. It was an encouraging time, full of surprises like Jeff Foxworthy and Jack Hanna.

This year took the cake for me. 4000 Young Life people. The weather was 80 degrees and beautiful every day except one. I was happy and thankful to be there. We went two days early for a YL College pre-conference and I was bound and determined to take advantage of every single second.

Our beautiful room


The view from our room. My favorite thing was sleeping with the
balcony door open and listening to the waterfall at the pool.

Days like this everyday

The pool in January. Seriously, the older generation has it right.
I WILL be a snowbird one day.

Have I made you jealous yet? More to come . . . . I'm currently FREEZING!

2 comments:

Jessie said...

We were in Port Canaveral last Monday on our way to the Bahamas. Mark and I celebrated 30 years with a cruise. We left the balcony door in our cabin open almost every night so we could hear the ocean. Sounds like you had a great time at celebration. Praying that God will bless your ministry even more in 2012.

Rachel said...

Hooray for the shout out! I, too, have very few pictures from the conferences we went to. I lost my camera during the 2000 trip...had a 9 month old with for the 2004 and Jay went solo in 2008! Great memories, though! I love all your updates!