Thursday and Friday mornings Tim Keller spoke. Thursday evening Francis Chan spoke. Talk about complete opposites! Tim Keller's wife met Jesus through YL. They helped start YL in the community of the first church he pastored. And they drove their boys to Connecticut to YL when they were in high school when there was no YL in NYC where they are currently. It was so sweet listening to Tim's wife tell her/their story of their involvement with Young Life. He's officially my favorite. I loved, loved, loved listening to him. I've seen Francis Chan speak several times (not in person) and he's always a little overwhelming. His presentation was officially overwhelming in person. Although I had some great take-aways from what he talked about. Talk about complete and polar opposites in the world of speaking. But I was blessed to hear them both
Friday we had "Park Day." We hit up Universal Studios and Island's of Adventures with the Ward's, Wilson's, Allevato's and Wilkes'. It was the only cool, rainy day we had. It ended up being fine b/c it kept the crowds away. Multiple times we walked right onto roller coasters - twice in a row!
In the Harry Potter Village. Pretty darn awesome.
Bethany was in heaven.
Having some Butter Beer (think frozen/liquid butterscotch - gross!) after
the Harry Potter ride to clear the cobwebs. That ride made everyone sick
the Harry Potter ride to clear the cobwebs. That ride made everyone sick
Had to get a picture with Diego for the kids.
We had never been to the Universal Studio's Park. It was pretty impressive.
Most of the park looked like scenery. I love that kind of stuff.
Most of the park looked like scenery. I love that kind of stuff.
Ben being eaten by Jaws
In honor of Derek, we hit up Margaritaville for dinner. Then we went to a dueling piano place after. Those places always are impressive and very fun. Always way more fun with lots of friends.
Saturday, they have out about 100 new ipad 2's.
Our very own John Allevato won one.
Our very own John Allevato won one.
An average day at the pool looked like this. Lots of chairs pointed towards the
sun and the ability to rotate through the crowd and visit with everyone!
sun and the ability to rotate through the crowd and visit with everyone!
Saturday evening we had a nice dinner with our division. Always fun to get dressed up.
The Mountaineer Area Staff:
Ben & Laura
Gina & Nathaniel Lutyens (Harrison County)
Cameron & Sarah King (YL College)
The Tuel's & The Berg's
Ben, Drew Holcomb & PW Gopal
Some of Ben's favorite muscian's
Some of Ben's favorite muscian's
Bethany, Laura, Brooke & Amy
I enjoyed these ladies (and others) so much!
So these are some of my thoughts from the week (significant and not):
- We have celebrated and had fun as a staff. This was much less "conferencey" and a lot of fun.
- Young Life is beginning to understand and foster the importance of family and marriage. The video thanking staff spouses may have been my biggest blessing of the week. And I'm thankful for the seminar on parenting in ministry. This will help with the longevity of staff.
- It was wonderful hang out time with friends. The Wards, Allevatos, Johnstons, Wilkes, Bergs, Siszecks, Lutyens, Kings, Budas, Wilsons, Amy, and Lutows. So thankful. So thankful. Pool. Universal. Sea World. Meals. Jelly Rolls. Sessions.
- The weather was absolute perfection. That definitely contributes to fun in Florida.
- I feel connected with and appreciated by Ben. I want to learn how to foster that better at home. My other really significant moment was the 2 hours Ben and I spent talking the night before we left about how to be better connected and how I can have more of a role in ministry. We have not overlapped much in ministry the past 6 years. And we want to. The miracle of this whole thing is that it was midnight to 2 am. Pretty impressive b/c I'm pretty much narcoleptic after 9pm!
- I want to raise up the next generation (especially my children) that can and will stand on the Word of God and love Jesus more than anything. (Francis Chan)
- The gospel needs to change me first. And always be changing me. (Tim Keller)
- What am I reproducing as I disciple my children and other women? (Francis Chan)
- I need to repent of my righteousness. The gospel should humble me greatly. (Tim Keller)
- I love God moments. (Meeting staff that is the brother of a cousin-in-law who did ministry with our friends internationally!)
- YL people are special and I'm thankful to be part of it.
- God has given us so much and I want to give generously.
- I love the sun and I love being outside. I WILL snowbird someday.
- I got so many comments on my hair from people that only see me in the summer. I surmised that I must look like crap whenever they see me!
- I love my husband and I love his heart for Jesus.
- This week was not all about numbers, growth and ministry. It was about laughter, love, celebrating, surprise, relaxation and personal growth.
- Last but certainly not least, we came home to pleasant, happy, non-whiny children. Usually there is some reprogramming that has to happen. Not one ounce. I'm pretty sure they're in a better spot than when we left them. THANK YOU, Doh, John Pap, Gary Pap and Grandma! Thank you!




No comments:
Post a Comment