Sunday, April 5, 2009

medical mystery solved

We spent from noon - 9:30 pm at the ER on Saturday with Ted. He hadn't eaten for 4 days. On Saturday morning he wouldn't get out of bed and was vomitting again. I wanted to take him in b/c I thought maybe they might be able to find something when he was in the middle of it as oppossed to always being healthy. So away we went.

He had blood drawn, x-rays of his stomach and intestines, a urine sample, and a strep test. While we waited for the results we colored . . .





They came in to tell us that had strep (who knows who long he's had that!), he was dehydrated, and that there was blood and crystals that indicate kidney stones in his urine. So we got an IV, rested . . .



and waited for an ultrasound. While waiting for the results, Ben brought us dinner and some paper and stickers from Debby. I went home to be with Sophie. We were really expecting them to send us home knowing nothing more. All I wanted to know was what to do when he was't eating.



In a moment of clarity, Ted decided to take some pictures. "Say 'cheese' door!" No joking - that's what he says!



But the doctor came back with "multiple kidney stones." Perhaps it's really been pain that has been causing these episodes. They wanted to admit him for the night, but our pediatrician said if we felt comfortable taking him home it was better to do that. So we did.

We have an appointment tomorrow with our pediatrician to make a game plan. A friend from church who is also on the YL committee is a urologist. He wants to treat Ted so hopefully that will be part of everything. I guess now we try to figure how many, what size, and if they are passable. Then we can figure out what is causing them and how to prevent this from happening again.

To be continued . . .

3 comments:

thesawhooks said...

Oh my goodness! :( Poor Ted! I LOVED the pictures of the bum!!! HAHA....

Laura said...

Wow. What a day! I'm glad that they have an idea as to what is causing all of that!!

And...ditto on the Ted tooshie pictures...PRICELESS!

The Huffmans said...

OH WOW! We're thinking of you guys. glad you know what it is now! Thanks for keeping us updated! Enjoying your blog!