Friday, May 22, 2009

grandad

A week ago Tuesday, Ben's Grandad passed away. There really is too much to say about the 6 days that we spent in New Martinsville. So I'll boil it down to a couple of things.

I have never been this involved in the entire process of everything. From being there minutes after he died, through the whole planning process, the days spent with family, to the closure of the funeral. Although it was quite emotional, it was such a blessing. Great time as a family, great time remembering and hearing stories from days gone by, grieving together and laughing together. Those six days were very special.

Ben said something during the week that kind of surprised me. He didn't realize that most people didn't have a relationship with their grandparents like he did. Their relationship was something very special. I have never felt someone's pain and sadness so deeply. But it makes me realize that I want to foster my kid's relationships with their grandparents. That they can be sort of second parents to them. People who hold a very special, unique place in their lives.

Our family dynamics are changing. Both of our parents are now the grandparents of the family. And we are now where they used to be. This is where our nuclear family becomes different. It's a strange thought.

Ben and I have talked a lot about the legacy that we want to leave. I think that Grandad sets a pretty high standard. I can't explain the stories . . .

Family Picture Time:

The Goddard/Tuel Family


Joanna, Ben, Andy & Jim - no time to tell you all about them!


The Charleston Tuel's

The Great Grandchildren. Wyatt and Faith made the trip. It was SO wonderful seeing them. Faith was quite a trooper!

It was great being in New Martinsville. My parents were able to keep the kids a lot in the evenings, while we came to Charleston to get clothes, and during the viewing.


Sophie watching one of he videos in her carseat.


Ted playing in the boat.


And having a work day with my Dad.
We are tired. So tired. April and May are busy months in general. And June promises to be full as well. So we're catching up on life and getting ready for more.

2 comments:

The Huffmans said...

love you blog and appreciate this post. Thanks for being so real!

Ashlee Kulpa said...

Wow - so much happening in your life right now. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother and Ben's Grandad. I hope you have felt comforted through all the travels and funerals. Blessings, friend!