Sunday, May 3, 2009

on the road again

The original plan for last week was for me to go to Atlanta Wednesday thru Friday for a Family Ministry Conference. I was so excited. I missed it last year b/c I was pregnant for Sophie and not able to travel. But on Monday, my grandmother passed away. She had been sick for about a week with some of the same things that she'd had for awhile. So, instead of heading south with friends, we headed north with the family.

But of course, there's always something to throw in there. On Wednesday, a coffee carafe fell out of the van when I opened the door. By Wednesday night, I couldn't even walk on it. So at 5 pm, Ben, Ted, Sophie & I were at the radiologists for an x-ray. Because of the time, they lost the faxed order so my dear, sweet friend Liz (also my family doctor) drove to where I was with the order. She gave me some pain killers - no broken foot.
Thursday morning, we dropped Millie off at some friends, got gas and hit the road. When we were getting gas (15 minutes into the trip), Ted decided that it was taking way too long and that we should definitely go home. I knew right from the start it was going to be great.
Sophie slept from Clarksburg to Morgantown - that's it. Ted didn't sleep at all on the 5+ hour trip. We stopped at the Morgantown Mall for lunch and to play for a little bit at a neat play area there. We checked in early at the hotel hoping for naps but no such luck. Both kids fell asleep on the 5 minute drive from the hotel to the funeral home. . . figures!



My kids did really well at the funeral home. We were there for a couple of hours. It was neat to see some of my grandfather's nurses from days gone by and family and friends from the river. I really don't think of myself as getting older until I see my cousins come in with kids of their own. I guess I have two kids and am an "adult." A 2nd cousin (or something of that nature) had an 11 month old - Juliet. She and Sophie hit it off bigtime. They were so funny together.
Sophie leaving the funeral home . . . she was pooped. She wasn't smiling until the camera came out!



Ted having chicken nuggets and french fries on the porch with Gary Pap and Uncle Charlie.

Our hotel was a suite. It has a completely empty closet that entertained Ted the entire time. I'm thinking it might be worth the effort to clean out one of mine. Both nights, we put him to bed in our bed. Later on, we put the cushions from the couch in the closet and he slept on those. He LOVED it.



Charlie, Valerie, Ben & I went out for a late dinner on Thursday evening. A psuedo celebration of our 9 year anniversary and Val's birthday - both April 29th.

1 comment:

thesawhooks said...

I was SOOO wondering if you weren't able to make it to Orange based on the note you left me! :( So sad...sorry to hear about your grandmother!!!

Drive conference Next year!? It was AMAZING!!!!