Sunday, October 10, 2010

reality

The newness, adventure and excitement of moving to Morgantown has worn off. Reality has set in. We're settled. We're in the middle of things. We're here.

Two weeks ago was just a sad week for me. The whole week. It came out of no where and really took me by surprise. I was just teary and sensitive. Missing spontaneous friends and missing my kid's friends and the parents that come with them. Missing River Ridge. Missing Andy & Courtney being down the road. Missing working and feeling like I'm invested in something. Missing a paycheck. Missing the familiar. Missing stores that I know my way around. Missing a long list of babysitters - and money to pay them!

Last week, Ben had a rough week feeling overwhelmed with all the clubs starting up. Feeling like he's not able to be too proactive on things. Just working with what's right in front of him. I really think he's sad not to be doing direct ministry with high school kids. And he's definitely missing worship. Missing drinks with friends and all that stuff. (Side note: he is much harder on himself than he needs to be. He's done so well taking things one step at a time and being able to shut his computer and come home for dinner and spend evenings with us. I am so proud of what he's done so far in this short amount of time.)

Thankfully, the Lord knows that we need each other in this and we're not really that sad or overwhelmed at the same time. Because if we were . . . look out! Yikes!!

Not to say that we don't want to be here or don't feel like we're completely called here. I think it's the actually mourning process that is taking place.

So, we are together recounting God's faithfulness to us. And we're believing that God has huge, enormous things in store for us as individuals, in our marriage, family and ministry.

God has been so faithful in . . .

- selling our house (although every once in awhile I get this gripping fear that Katrina hates us for what we sold her. Although I have no reason to think that. Just comes up every once in awhile!)
- allowing us to have $0 in debt to be able to move here
- giving us places to live for the summer
- a wonderful home to live in Morgantown
- someone paying for the old yl office here until we are able to terminate the lease
- a new FREE office
- personal donors to the area to start the fiscal year with a budget that is in the BLACK!!!
- leaders who love Jesus
- people to fill our roles at the church and in yl (another fear that comes up every once in awhile - that Matt is thinking "What did I pay her to do all those years?" and Betsy is saying, "Holy crap! She didn't train me in anything and left things a mess." Again, no reason to really think that. Just comes up.)
- people randomly calling from the letters we sent out last week to all the people on the mountaineer area mailing list
- the connections that we have with people that we already know!
- our children adjusting well
- free school for Ted and that he even got in a school and actually loves it
- we are healthy (Libby Ryder's blog has changed my life I'm pretty sure)

. . . the list goes on and on and on.

We are truly rich in the Lord. Our family. Our marriage. Our ministry. Our family. Our friends. Our salvation. Our hope.

1 comment:

The Huffmans said...

Dear Laura, my heart is with you friend! As I read your post, I just thought so much about a talk I just heard on transitions! (I'm going to email you the notes) What a HUGE change you guys are going through. We can so relate and it makes me thankful to be able to know how to pray for you!

lots of love, Erin Ashley