Sunday, March 13, 2011

the truth about poop



Ted is quite intrigued by this book at the moment. It is rather fascinating.  Gary Pap has taught him a lot about animal poop while they hike around in the woods behind my parent's house. So Ted considers himself a bit of an expert. 

But the real story is Sophie . . . 

For the past year, Sophie has given me a run for my money in the poop department. You may recall this post (Adventures in Moving) where Sophie layed in front of the front door the day we were moving out of our house. She cried about wanting to be held for a very long time. I thought she understood in some weird way that we were moving and she was sad.  Later, we figured out the translation to be, "I have to poop and I don't want to so I'm going to cry and cry and cray about it. If you just hold me for a long time I won't have to." So we quickly understood that you couldn't hold her until after she pooped - otherwise you would hold her forever.

While we were at camp, she pooped in the pool. Well not actually IN the pool. But in her swimmy diaper while in the pool. Which is just not a fun diaper to change.

Then, when she started potty training, she pooped every 3-4 days. Well she always did that. But you never knew when it was coming. And watch out when it did b/c she was completely unpredictable and usually didn't even try to make it to the potty. Lots of poop in the underwear.

In the winter, she pooped every 3 days at 7pm on the dot. In the potty. That one was my favorite.

Now, she's using poop to completely manipulate bedtime. Every night, she cries about having to poop. Translation: "I don't want to poop. And I know that you have to let me up to at least try. Because if you didn't, you would feel guilty about being a bad parent for not believing me. I really just want to be up and I'll do whatever. Including sitting on the potty messing around. I really don't mind." So, my newest prayer has been for discernment for when Sophie really has to poop and when she doesn't. Ah, the life of a parent!

So, there you have it. The truth about poop according to Sophie.

No comments: