Wednesday, March 14, 2012

eeg

Ted had an EEG last Tuesday after school. I received one instruction: he must be sleep deprived. No naps. No caffeine. That's all I was told in a letter I received. So, I picked Ted up after school and took him over to Ruby. They hooked him up to 24 nodules, Ted asked a thousand questions, and then the guy says, "I'm going to turn out the lights so you can take a nap." WHAT? Seriously? Yes, they needed ONE HOUR of sleep for this particular EEG. No one told me. If they would have, I would've told them that 2:30 in the afternoon, after school was the worst possible time. Ted's teachers assure me that he does a really good job at school. Believe me, I've asked based on his behavior when he gets home. I can only assume that he's sat still and obeyed all day, so when he gets home, he has to let completely loose. This beautiful weather has been fabulous because I send him outside to do laps around the house. Let alone the fact that he really doesn't sleep anywhere but a bed. He's fallen asleep on a couch about 3 times in life. Never on command!

So last Tuesday, Ted didn't even come close to sleeping. He couldn't even lay there and close his eyes. I felt so bad for him. It really was not his fault. Every 45 seconds, "Are we done yet? How much longer? Can I just open my eyes?" I don't exaggerate on that. It was over an hour of pleading with him to rest and be still. All the time knowing it was so hard to ask that of a 6 year old boy at that time of day. Needless to say, the Dr. called back and said they would need to do it again. I asked for a very different appointment time and told Ted he owed me $100 for deductibles!

So this morning, Ted had an EEG at 8:00 am. We put him to bed at 10:00 pm and Ben volunteered to get up with him at 4:00 am. He took him for a fun breakfast at Eat N Park to fill his belly with french toast and bacon. Ted took his Steeler blanket and his pillow pet and PROMPTLY FELL ASLEEP! I think Ben wanted to sleep too.  Ted slept the entire time. Hopefully they got what they needed and we can get him off the Keppra. (Totally forgot pictures both times!)

Next week he has a CT scan and follow-up with the neurosurgeon. Hopefully this will be it!

No comments: