Tuesday, March 20, 2012

pain vs. sick

Sophie is a very healthy child. In her lifetime, she has had one ear infection, one ingrown toenail, a concussion, a seizure and lots and lots of nosebleeds. But she's healthy in regards to viruses and stuff. She's never thrown up in her whole entire life. Unlike her brother who, by her age, had christened every corner of our van with vomit. She has snot from March-May and Sept-Nov, but that's very much allergy related and I don't count that as sick.

Why do I say this? Recently, Sophie has had a hard time when it comes to differentiating between pain and sickness. And between different parts of her body.

For instance, the other day, we picked up the little girl I'm babysitting and Sophie says (in front of the other mom) in her best whiney/sick voice, "Mom, I don't feel good." I chalk it up to allergies and you'll be fine. But I have recently learned to say "Show me." Because usually what she says and where she points doesn't match up.

She says, "I don't feel good. My head hurts."
"Show me."
"Right here by my headband."
"Is your headband hurting you? Do you think you should take it off?"
"Oh yeah. That's it!"

So then she says later that week, "Mom, my tummy hurts."
"Show me where it hurts, Soph."
She points to her throat.
"Sophie, that's your throat."
"Oh, well it hurts where my jacket is zipped."
"Maybe you should unzip your jacket a little."
"That's better!"

Sophie getting ready to take her baby to the park. Camera. Purse. Lunch. Baby.
She is one prepared Mama. I believe there's pretend food in the lunch box and maybe another baby.


In the other world of sickness and health, Ben's shingles were relatively short lived for what I guess they could've been. Two weeks from the start of pain to waking up one morning and it's gone. We are definitely both in the agreement that his shingles were a sort of divine intervention. He slept a lot, was home a lot and this past week wasn't even a wreck from catch up stuff. I'm praying it sticks. And thankful I haven't gotten it.

I, however, had pink eye or some other form of conjunctivitis. Gross. I HATE wearing glasses. Hate. It. I got glasses in 1st grade (Ted gets it honestly) and contacts around 7th grade. From the day I got contacts, I have worn them every day of my life from dawn till dusk and sometimes longer. Sophie asked me several times, "How come you have on your night glasses?"

And, Ben is officially get o.l.d. He got reading glasses this week.

This is how I found Sophie watching tv the other day.
The dress up box could be comfortable - but probably not.
Aunt Sara came to visit and we had a girls dinner at Black Bear.
Always so fun to have a visit with Sara.

No comments: