Tuesday, November 22, 2011

brain surgery - day 2

Call it denial, call it what you want, but I really didn't want to ever say that Ted was having "brain surgery." The neurosurgeon (should that have given it away?) said it wasn't actually doing surgery on his brain, just around his brain. Or that's how I interpreted it. Until today I saw one of Ted's charts that said "craniotomy" and then his neurologist said, "Well, he did just have brain surgery." Whatever.

Today was a little rough trying to manage Ted's pain. During the morning hours, he would have "fits" where he yelled and cried and was flinging himself around quite a bit. It usually started by being completely frustrated or angry with something and he'd get himself all worked up. Then he's sort of just fall asleep and move on.

This is how I found him this morning when I came in. Notice his eye as the day goes on.
A brief moment of playing - about 3 minutes.
After quite an episode of taking out some of his lines, we dressed
him in pj's and we took about a 2 minute walk around the PICU.





 In the afternoon he started throwing up and his left eye started swelling shut and turning purple. He spent most of the afternoon in his bed moaning and growling when he talked. He just layed there. No tv. No music. No nothing. Just laid there.
 
He did love this new book from the Isaacs. I "laid" on his bed and read it several times. We were reading it one time before he was supposed to get some pain meds and he said it made his head feel better. 


Right around 6:00 pm they finally gave him Zofran for nausea. This was after he had tossed his meds several times. That seemed to settle everything down. We transferred to the regular pediatric floor and had a WONDERFUL nurse to get us settled for the evening. He was very sober all evening and didn't say much of anything.

Ted face-timed with Sophie tonight. This was the only smile we got out of him all evening (including the rest of the conversation). They both really miss each other a lot. I'm hoping this new found "love" for one another continues.
Ben kept calling him Mike Tyson. His left eye is completely swollen shut and purple

He finally fell asleep this evening easily and comfortably. A good end to a rough day.
Here's hoping for much improvement for tomorrow

10 comments:

Kathy said...

Reading this, and especially seeing those pictures, breaks my heart! I pray for comfort for ALL of you!

1dreamr said...

Sending love & prayers from Ohio....

John Warneke said...

Hugs, love, prayers and psoitive thoughts being sent your way!

John and Pat Warneke

Peggy Koerber said...

Prayers continuing for all of you.

Kristie Solheim said...

Prayers for all of you Laura! I pray that Ted is feeling better today! Love the smile he has while talking to Sophie Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you all Laura!! Little Ted has to be one of the most prayed for people in th world right now!! Love you all!

John Yaquinta

Tina said...

Hi, I saw on facebook that all this was going on in your lives and I'm grateful that you posted the link to your blog. May God richly shower you all with blessings and provide His healing to little Ted.
Tina and Ted lawver

Mike said...

Praying for much strength and faith as this journey continues!

The Wilsons said...

Our prayers have been with Ted and we will continue to keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers. What a tough little guy!

Kathy Goins said...

We love you guys Laura. Hug Ted for us all and hope you get to go home soon.