The house we stayed in was super cute!
Saturday we got up and Ben made us a great breakfast considering the lack of proper kitchen utensils. Some people went to the YMCA to play basketball and work out and the rest of us went to TJ Maxx to "be a Maxxinista" (in John's words) and pick up items we forgot.
In the meantime, a nor'easter hit Connecticut. The biggest October snow in history. Electric out. Up to 18 inches of snow. More trees down than when Irene hit this summer. All the weather stations around us called for a lot of snow. We got rain and slushy snow. And Saturday night we got about an inch. But it was nothing in Westbrook compared to about an hour away. Some of Rachel's family had troubled arriving in time for the rehearsal.
But that didn't really matter b/c the resort where the wedding was had a wedding on Saturday in the same place their wedding would be on Sunday. So they "rehearsed" in the area that a live band set up in the restaurant/bar area. They passed along about 25% of the necessary information for the ceremony. I decided after this that I could be a good wedding coordinator.
The rehearsal dinner was yummy and fun . . .
And Ben and I even got a date of sorts!
To everyone's surprise, I even stayed for the "after party" after the rehearsal. Which made me a little sad that everyone was so surprised and shocked. But I was pretty proud of myself!
This is just a random picture of David sleeping on the couch. He was the only one without a bed/room. But he was pretty impressive in his ability to sleep through things.
Sunday morning we got up and took a walk to the beach. John decided he was going to take a swim so he wore his shorts to the snowy beach. Bobby didn't have many "hang out clothes" so he wore his work pants and boots!
The beach was a block from our house and so beautiful.
I've never been to a snowy beach.
John actually took a dip and then ran back to the house (barefoot) for a hot shower. I have it on video. Still have to upload that.
Shawna, David, Connor, Bobby
On the way back Shawna went for a run. David decided to go too . . . in his jeans.
In between the beach and the wedding, we hit up (mediocre) seafood at 11:00. Nothing like seafood for brunch! The second "rehearsal" less than 30 minutes before the wedding was slightly stressful, but the wedding went off without a hitch and the reception was straight up FUN! Best live band ever. We could've danced all night.
David & Connor were always on their cell phones.
Love all these guys!!!
David doesn't have a wide variety of food likes, so he had the kids meal. Chicken fingers and fries.
The "Pastor" and the happy couple. Everything was Pastor and Mrs. Tuel. That made me laugh!
Sunday morning we packed up and spent almost 3 hours on the interstate to get back to the airport. Whoever sat in the back got to sit with all the luggage. We landed in Pittsburgh around 3:00 and we were home around 6:00.
The entire weekend was just straight up fun. And the thing that I think about the most is that we just laughed a lot. I mean, a lot. It was really awesome. We had 11 meals without children. We traveled lots of hours without whining - except when PawPaw really needed to smoke. We went to bed when we wanted, got up when we wanted, and didn't even take our cell phones everywhere with us. We did new things. We spent time with people that we love a lot and are like family - and they included us completely in theirs.
Just some highlights that made us laugh so hard that no one else will really understand but I wanted to remember:
- Ditka
- Who's Rachel?
- Connor's complete cluelessness about anything wedding related
- B.F.B. which really turned into Seafood for Brunch.
- PawPaw hacking up a lung every morning at 6:00 am.
- Comments about MawMaw being a "nagger"
- Choking on Coke b/c of PawPaw's response to my "I have to pee" comment.
- I want it. What is it?
- I left the best part of me at that rest stop!
- Being a "Maxxinista"
- Sticking it out through the "after party!"
- Ben and Donny's man crushes
- The salsa comment about making your babies be born naked!
Great, great weekend! Congratulations, Bobby & Rachel! Thanks for sharing your day with us.











1 comment:
Snowy beaches can be very beautiful.
Post a Comment