Monday, May 7, 2012

summer vacation

There's 104 days of summer vacation
And school comes along just to end it
So the annual problem for our generation
Is finding a good way to spend it




We watch a lot of Phineas and Ferb around our house. Great show. Good music too! If you've never seen it, it's about two brothers and how they spend their summer.

I'm just going to lay it out there that I'm really nervous about summer. There are two new things about this summer that we haven't had before. 1) We don't have an assignment. A month of free food, entertainment and adventure. I won't mention the ungodly work days for Ben and the months of preparation. The way my kids are always up at the crack of dawn and I have to keep them quiet half the morning. And cleaning up after others for a month. Parenting differently than the other 7 families you live with. I'm being strictly selfish here and looking at only the aspects I want to. 2) I'm not working. Even last summer I worked the month of June. It was a bit of a disaster but I worked none-the-less. So, here we are, no assignment, no work. And I don't now what to do with my kids for 2 1/2 months. I'm nervous about it.

However, we do have two family trips planned. One with Ben's family in June and one with my family in July. We are also going to Rockbridge for a week in August. We hope to spend several weekends at the river in PA. And we'll hopefully be moving in June (that's another story for another day). So, when I look at it this way, we've got stuff spread out and things to look forward to. 

It all just feels a little overwhelming. So I mailed in my check for our pool passes today and I'm warming up for lots of playing outside. I bought my annual summer tub of Oxyclean today after several baths turned brown from Sophie. 15 more days of school. The countdown begins . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WE'LL BE AT THE POOL A LOT TOO...AND LOTS OF PARKS. IT SEEMS LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN EASING US INTO SUMMER WITH ALL THESE RANDOM OUT OF CLASS DAYS!I AM SURE WE'LL BE SEEING YOU GUYS OUT AND ABOUT!!
SHANNON